+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Passport Canada website says not required but when you call customer service; they say it's still required. I called 3 times in past 6 months to confirm but all of them said same thing. Very confusing.
You no longer need updated Citizenship certificate only NAME CHANGE CERTIFICATE is enough to get a new passport in the new name but you need original citizenship certificate in old name and name change certificate to show

macord2k20

Star Member
Aug 13, 2020
I received this morning the AOR for my son's proof of citizenship, they received my app on july 29 2020, although apparently they only "received" it on Aug 4 2020, got AOR this morning although still cant see it on ecas

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I received this morning the AOR for my son's proof of citizenship, they received my app on july 29 2020, although apparently they only "received" it on Aug 4 2020, got AOR this morning although still cant see it on ecas
You'll have to wait 24 hours after AOR before you can track applications on ECAS, I think. Try again tomorrow.

Good luck!

CharlesM

Jul 20, 2020
Hi everyone, there is an update on my application!

The site says "Decision Made" on my application, but the timeline doesn't show what the decision was. I see there is an update on the timeline... I am so confused.
I am in the same boat! I just checked status and noticed that decision was made July 16 (I didn't receive any notification, did you?). No idea how to check on the decision though.

Citizenship
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on May 29, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 8, 2021.
  3. We started processing your application on July 16, 2021.

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Hi everyone... logged into eCAS this morning and my application status changed to "Complete". The citizenship certificate has been mailed.

Citizenship
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on February 24, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on December 7, 2020.
  3. We started processing your application on June 16, 2021.
  4. We sent your citizenship certificate on July 22, 2021 to: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.

Interestingly, the address they sent the application to is wrong... I did send them a web form a few months back to let them know my residential address had changed. I reside outside of Canada and the US, so I thought I would see the name of the Canadian consular office they sent the certificate to.

CharlesM

Jul 20, 2020
Hi everyone... logged into eCAS this morning and my application status changed to "Complete". The citizenship certificate has been mailed.
Congrats! Hope you can get to the mail there.

Just over a month between "processing" and "sent" for you. Seems like an improvement over the 3+ months others were seeing but I know enough to not expect consistency from IRCC.

Lucieo0510

Jul 28, 2021
Hi guys, I applied the proof of citizenship by descent in the end of 2019 and they received my application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on January 29, 2020. And today I took a look on the status which shows "Completed" and I clicked the page of the status, it said "We sent your citizenship certificate on July 26, 2021 to: C/O The Canadian Embassy" Does it mean my application approved?

Reactions: Janettka

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Hi guys, I applied the proof of citizenship by descent in the end of 2019 and they received my application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on January 29, 2020. And today I took a look on the status which shows "Completed" and I clicked the page of the status, it said "We sent your citizenship certificate on July 26, 2021 to: C/O The Canadian Embassy" Does it mean my application approved?
Hey, congrats! When they send your citizenship certificate, it means your application was approved. If the application failed, they would have sent just a letter. Did your send your application through a Government of Canada consular office? If you live outside US and Canada, I understand they would usually send the certificate to the closest embassy/high commission/consulate to your area. It probably means they have sent your certificate to the embassy.

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Hi
Here is my timeline after name change
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on June 9, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 26, 2021.
  3. We started processing your application on July 9, 2021.
  4. We sent your citizenship certificate on July 27, 2021 to XXXXXXXXXXXXX If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address,
Hope it helps looks like they are improving on processing times

kd73426

Star Member
Jun 8, 2021
Hi
Here is my timeline after name change
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on June 9, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 26, 2021.
  3. We started processing your application on July 9, 2021.
  4. We sent your citizenship certificate on July 27, 2021 to XXXXXXXXXXXXX If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address,
Hope it helps looks like they are improving on processing times
Yes it does seem to be improving! I hope it continues. Thanks for posting an update!!

amlajune

Mar 30, 2021
I just want my damn AOR...they can take their 15 months all they want, but it's not too much to ask for an ASAP confirmation that my precious citizenship certificate hasn't been lost in the IRCC blackhole and is in fact in their system...