+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

Lucieo0510

Jul 28, 2021
Hey, congrats! When they send your citizenship certificate, it means your application was approved. If the application failed, they would have sent just a letter. Did your send your application through a Government of Canada consular office? If you live outside US and Canada, I understand they would usually send the certificate to the closest embassy/high commission/consulate to your area. It probably means they have sent your certificate to the embassy.
Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it! :) Yes, my application was sent by Consulate General of Canada last year.

Last edited:

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
Interestingly, i waited from nov 2018 - dec 31 2020 for decision to be made. Up to this writng i havent received my citizenship certificate yet. Manila Embassy said it was only sent out from cpc sydney on july 19 2021 . Likewise, the embassy does not allow passport application unless i can supply them airline ticket scheduled within 3 months.

Mclast

Aug 2, 2021
Just wanted to provide our update from applying from the U.S., for those in a similar position. It took them 11 months from the time they received the application until acknowledgement of receipt (AOR):

Client Application Status
1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on August 17, 2020.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on July 21, 2021.

CharlesM

Jul 20, 2020
Our application status was changed to "Complete"!
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on May 29, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 8, 2021.
  3. We started processing your application on July 16, 2021.
  4. We sent your citizenship certificate on August 4, 2021 to...

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on May 29, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 8, 2021.
Congratulations!!!

Now the wait begins... did you apply through an embassy or you in the US?

Reactions: Janettka

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I got a response from web forms today, stating my certificate was indeed mailed to my old address (even though this address was updated a few months ago). I find this a bit interesting, since I thought certificates would be mailed to the closest embassy/consulate/high commission if you live outside Canada and the United States (I am in South Africa). Guess I will need to let my previous landlord know I need to visit lol.

Good day XXXXXXX XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We are pleased to inform you that the certificate of Canadian citizenship was mailed on July 22nd 2021, to the following address:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It takes approximately six weeks to receive the document. If you do not receive it by September 2nd 2021, we invite you to:
  • Complete this Solemn Declaration,
    • you can fill it out online and print it or fill it out by hand,
  • Send it to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia,
    • the address and fax number are provided at the bottom of the form.
Once we receive your declaration, it will take approximately six weeks for you to receive a new certificate

CharlesM

Jul 20, 2020
The certificates arrived (to a Canadian address) today (Aug 11) - so a one week delivery time within Canada. All told, the process took about 14.5 months. So glad to be done and be able to help my kids feel like real Canadians. Good luck for a speedy resolution to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: Janettka

Janettka

Jul 24, 2020
The certificates arrived (to a Canadian address) today (Aug 11) - so a one week delivery time within Canada. All told, the process took about 14.5 months. So glad to be done and be able to help my kids feel like real Canadians. Good luck for a speedy resolution to everyone still waiting!
Congratulations! My certificate was mailed on the same day to U.S. I am still waiting for it to arrive here in Washington State.

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
The High Commission of Canada let me know the citizenship certificate arrived... that was really quick! Sent in my application for the passport.

Janettka

Jul 24, 2020
Congratulations! My certificate was mailed on the same day to U.S. I am still waiting for it to arrive here in Washington State.
UPDATE: Received certificate in the mail today! For those interested in delivery times this was regular mail from CIC Canada to west coast of U.S. and took 14 days. Glad to be officially dual.

Reactions: koeks525