+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of citizenship timeline

sselincourt

Mar 21, 2018
Hi,

I mailed my citizenship application on February 14th, 2018. I’m a US born citizen with a born Canadian mother. I still have yet to get an acknowledgement letter, and I need to have the certificate by September 5th, as that’s the deadline to show the school I’m transferring to that I’m eligible for domestic tuition.

I was wondering if people who’ve successfully gone through the process can tell me about how long it took from when they mailed it out to when they received it, so I can get a general idea of the timeframe I’m looking at.

Thanks!

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi,

I mailed my citizenship application on February 14th, 2018. I’m a US born citizen with a born Canadian mother. I still have yet to get an acknowledgement letter, and I need to have the certificate by September 5th, as that’s the deadline to show the school I’m transferring to that I’m eligible for domestic tuition.

I was wondering if people who’ve successfully gone through the process can tell me about how long it took from when they mailed it out to when they received it, so I can get a general idea of the timeframe I’m looking at.

Thanks!
CIC website says 5 months.

Also from the site:
Processing times tell you how long it took Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to process applications in the past after receiving a complete application package. Processing times can vary, depending on how many applications IRCC receives. Your application may be delayed if it's not complete.

If you live outside Canada and outside the United States and are applying through a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, add an additional 3 to 4 months to the total processing time.

Reactions: sselincourt

sselincourt

Mar 21, 2018
CIC website says 5 months.

Also from the site:
Processing times tell you how long it took Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to process applications in the past after receiving a complete application package. Processing times can vary, depending on how many applications IRCC receives. Your application may be delayed if it's not complete.

If you live outside Canada and outside the United States and are applying through a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, add an additional 3 to 4 months to the total processing time.
I’m aware about the 5 month processing time. I’m more wondering about the time it takes for them to begin the process, since it’s been a month with no updates.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hopefully you'll still hear from someone that has gone through the process, but I was just looking at the quarterly citizenship reports and it is showing the turn around time for proofs to be 2 months for the last two quarters reported. Just some additional info for you.

Reactions: Stratton40

sselincourt

Mar 21, 2018
Hopefully you'll still hear from someone that has gone through the process, but I was just looking at the quarterly citizenship reports and it is showing the turn around time for proofs to be 2 months for the last two quarters reported. Just some additional info for you.
Thank you, that’s great info. So I should be hearing back within the month.

sselincourt

Mar 21, 2018
I sent off proof of citizenship for my two kids end of January and we have yet to receive an AOR
I'm sorry to hear you still haven't heard back yet. I wonder if the fact the application is for both your kids is reason in part for It taking a bit longer?

sselincourt

Mar 21, 2018
@sns204 Yesterday morning, I received my letter of correspondence, which was April 13th. Today, I was able to check my application status online, and it says my application was received on February 23rd. They just sent the letter really late, but it appears they haven't begun processing it yet. Really hoping they begin processing ASAP.

raechel303

Jun 5, 2018
@sns204 Yesterday morning, I received my letter of correspondence, which was April 13th. Today, I was able to check my application status online, and it says my application was received on February 23rd. They just sent the letter really late, but it appears they haven't begun processing it yet. Really hoping they begin processing ASAP.
Hi there! Just wondering if there have been any updates for you. Is yours being processed yet? I sent an application for my child's proof of citizenship one month ago but have not received an AOR yet. Wondering what timelines are like. We sent from US. Thanks!

sselincourt

Mar 21, 2018
Hi there! Just wondering if there have been any updates for you. Is yours being processed yet? I sent an application for my child's proof of citizenship one month ago but have not received an AOR yet. Wondering what timelines are like. We sent from US. Thanks!
Hey!
I actually have had the certificate in my possession for a little while now. My timeline is likely going to be different from yours, since I applied for urgent processing and it appears that it was approved (starting uni in Canada this September which likely helped). Nonetheless, here's my timeline:

February 14: Mailed out form
February 23: IRCC received my form
April 13: Letter of correspondence received
April 19: Request for urgent processing submitted
May 8: Processing began
May 8: Certificate was mailed out

Hope this helps somewhat!

raechel303

Jun 5, 2018
Hey!
I actually have had the certificate in my possession for a little while now. My timeline is likely going to be different from yours, since I applied for urgent processing and it appears that it was approved (starting uni in Canada this September which likely helped). Nonetheless, here's my timeline:

Glad it went smoothly for you! When did you get an email from IRCC saying the application was received? Was that your letter from April 13th? I’m just nervous I haven’t received an acknowledgment yet via email and they’ve had it over one month. Thanks!

Reactions: sselincourt

sselincourt

Mar 21, 2018
Glad it went smoothly for you! When did you get an email from IRCC saying the application was received? Was that your letter from April 13th? I’m just nervous I haven’t received an acknowledgment yet via email and they’ve had it over one month. Thanks!
Yep, I got the email that morning (really nice thing to wake up to). It took me almost 2 months to get the acknowledgment, so I wouldn't be worried at all.

I'm not sure how true this is, but I did read somewhere on this forum that the IRCC tends to do pre checks of applications before processing within the first month of receipt to check for any missing documents or outstanding issues. So if you haven't heard anything yet, it's probably a good sign. I completely understand your concern, and I wish this wasn't such a nerve-racking process for all of us.

raechel303

Jun 5, 2018
Yep, I got the email that morning (really nice thing to wake up to). It took me almost 2 months to get the acknowledgment, so I wouldn't be worried at all.

I'm not sure how true this is, but I did read somewhere on this forum that the IRCC tends to do pre checks of applications before processing within the first month of receipt to check for any missing documents or outstanding issues. So if you haven't heard anything yet, it's probably a good sign. I completely understand your concern, and I wish this wasn't such a nerve-racking process for all of us.

I agree- I wish it were less nerve racking. Thanks so much! The moral support helps :)

vaned

Sep 14, 2018
Hey!

Hi sselincourt, wondering if you've had any updates since May or have you received citizenship already since it's urgent processing? Thanks!