+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof for working experience outside Canada

greenhippo

Jul 15, 2018
Hello everyone,

For CEC application, I have few questions about my working experience inside and outside Canada.

I had 4 years of working experience as an executive assistant in the universities in my home country before I came to Canada. I would say part of my responsibilities overlapped with the duties of the job title (code 1222/1241). However, my former office never mentioned my duties in detail in my employment letter. I only got my reference letter from one of my former bosses.

Then I spent 2 years to complete my master program in Quebec as a student permit holder. After my graduation, I moved to Toronto and got 1 temp job for 2 months, and working with a full time job (code 1253) afterwards for 1 year until now.

Now I decided to apply with my qualification obtained in QC and 1 year of working experience (Type B) in ON.

Q1) I am not sure if I have to provide the proofs of all jobs that I had, before and after coming to Canada.I am thinking putting all of them into my employment history. I am not certain about whatever the previous jobs in my home country can be counted as 1222/1241, should I avoid mentioning them in my CEC application? I can go ask my previous employees in my home country to provide me with a letter with my main duties but I am not sure they still retained the records as that was already 7 years ago. Even they are willing to provide me with the proof, the duties may not 100% match with 1222/1241. Should I take this risk? Does it affect my score of my CEC application, if CIC does not think they are matched?

Q2) And, do I also have to get a proof from my former employee of the temp job I got in Toronto?

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Any help would be appreciated !

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I had 4 years of working experience as an executive assistant in the universities in my home country before I came to Canada. I would say part of my responsibilities overlapped with the duties of the job title (code 1222/1241). However, my former office never mentioned my duties in detail in my employment letter. I only got my reference letter from one of my former bosses.

Not sure I understand the problem -does the letter from your former boss include job duties and responsibiltiies? If so, add that to any official employment records, it will be good.

Q1) I am not sure if I have to provide the proofs of all jobs that I had, before and after coming to Canada.
You need proof for jobs for which you gain CRS points. And you don't need to put it in your profile if you will not claim points ( later, if you get an ITA, you put ALL of your employment history in your background document).

I am not certain about whatever the previous jobs in my home country can be counted as 1222/1241, should I avoid mentioning them in my CEC application? I can go ask my previous employees in my home country to provide me with a letter with my main duties but I am not sure they still retained the records as that was already 7 years ago.
You can ask, and should. Foreign work experience, in addition to Canadian work experience, will give you more CRS points.

The duties may not 100% match with 1222/1241.
Matching 100% is not good - if they match 100%, IRCC will know you copied and pasted, and are probably faking. Your job description needs to be consistent with the lead statement and duties/responsibilities - but it does not need to be a perfect match. But it is challenging to identify the right NOC, you can always ask here if/when you get the letter.

Does it affect my score of my CEC application, if CIC does not think they are matched?
If you get an ITA based on points for a job, and IRCC later determines that you have not provided sufficient proof of the skilled work, then yes, you could lose the points you earned; if your score remains above the cutoff for your draw, your application is not affected. If your score drops below the cut-off for your draw, you would lose your eligibility and be refused.

Q2) And, do I also have to get a proof from my former employee of the temp job I got in Toronto?
Only if you need those 2 months to qualify. If those 2 months will make no difference to your application (which is what it sounds like right now), then you can omit that job from your profile (but later include it in your background document).

greenhippo

Jul 15, 2018
Thanks for answering my questions.

I should make my statement more clear. The reference letter I got from my former boss is not for immigration purpose. I just asked for it when I quit my job as this would be useful for my next job in my home country. It only mentioned about my major contributions to my unit (more like a recommendation letter) The tasks I completed are actually related to the duties of 1241/1222. I am not sure whatever I have to ask them to write me an official letter with all of my duties (like a list) again to apply for immigration.

The reference letter is like :

"......Working directly under my supervision, XXX provided administrative support for a wide scope of .....which included duty1, duty2, duty3, duty4 and duty5. In addition, she assisted the department head to handle duty6. XXX played a key role in organizing an event in ......

XXX demonstrates conscientious efforts in performing her duties and managed to complete the assigned tasks with minimum supervision. She is an enthusiastic self-starter who shows readiness to acquire new knowledge by herself. A good example is designing the procedures for processing the XXXX. Furthermore, .....and is always willing to provide guidance and relevant job information for other team members.

With her strong sense of responsibility and positive work attitude, I highly recommend XXX for taking up the position in your organization. Should you need further information, please feel free to write to me..."

Any advice?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Any advice?
1) Follow directions; see "Proof of work experience" here -
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

a. Yes, that means for every employer you are seeking points for, you must ask for a recent reference letter. You can use old letters from former employers if they meet IRCC requirements (e.g. dated at/after the end of the employment) - the "purpose" for which the letter was written is not relevant. Supplementary documents are beneficial.
b. Some companies will provide a reference letter only in their format, regardless of IRCC requirements. Then you have to find a way to supplement the letter. The old letter of recommendation, for example, would be good to include.
c. Some companies refuse to provide letters. Then you need to provide a written explanation, documenting the refusal, along with alternative documentation.

SO - include the old recommendation letter, but try to get a new one.

greenhippo

Jul 15, 2018
1) Follow directions; see "Proof of work experience" here -
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

a. Yes, that means for every employer you are seeking points for, you must ask for a recent reference letter. You can use old letters from former employers if they meet IRCC requirements (e.g. dated at/after the end of the employment) - the "purpose" for which the letter was written is not relevant. Supplementary documents are beneficial.
b. Some companies will provide a reference letter only in their format, regardless of IRCC requirements. Then you have to find a way to supplement the letter. The old letter of recommendation, for example, would be good to include.
c. Some companies refuse to provide letters. Then you need to provide a written explanation, documenting the refusal, along with alternative documentation.

SO - include the old recommendation letter, but try to get a new one.
Got it , thanks for your detailed explanation which is so helpful ! Really appreciate it !!!

ft395

Jun 30, 2015
You only need to include the employment letter for the work experience used to qualify for CEC. CIC requires that the work experience is obtained in Canada. Your previous work experience was outside of Canada, it's not qualified for express entry. You don't need to include employment letter. But you need to mention it in your personal history in your application.

You need to mention it in your application, but no need to prove it.