+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing times on reconsideration on refused work permit

Amar2021

Mar 21, 2021
Hi, I am just wondering how long does IRCC takes to respond to the reconsideration of refused work permit. Mine was refused in December 2020 and it is March 2021 and my Consultant says they have not heard any update from IRCC yet. They said they have put in a request by post mail as well as the Web Form. Does anyone know how long does it take to process or respond or even acknowledge they have received the reconsideration request?

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Hi, I am just wondering how long does IRCC takes to respond to the reconsideration of refused work permit. Mine was refused in December 2020 and it is March 2021 and my Consultant says they have not heard any update from IRCC yet. They said they have put in a request by post mail as well as the Web Form. Does anyone know how long does it take to process or respond or even acknowledge they have received the reconsideration request?
I thought those were mainly for PR application/citizenship application not for temporary permits but I could be wrong.

From what I know about the process, it needs to be due to an egregious mistake, new evidence or H&C grounds and submitted soon after the refusal. It is then at the discretion of the officer to review his decision (does not have to) and I believe tends to be done within weeks (the case must be pretty strong therefore shouldn't take 4 months). With COVID it could take longer and it is such a specific and niche situation I am not familiar with. I'd recommend not hanging too much on this, IRCC recommends either reapplying or filing in court:

Can I appeal a decision on a work permit application?
Under Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, there is no formal right of appeal on temporary resident decisions. Instead, you can reapply. If possible, a different officer will examine the application.​
You can also ask for a judicial review through the Federal Court of Canada, if you think the process was not fair. A lawyer in Canada would act on your behalf.​

I do not want to be too negative about it but in my opinion (and it is just an opinion) this is more of a way for consultants to get more money with a very low chance of success in most circumstances.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I thought those were mainly for PR application/citizenship application not for temporary permits but I could be wrong.

From what I know about the process, it needs to be due to an egregious mistake, new evidence or H&C grounds and submitted soon after the refusal. It is then at the discretion of the officer to review his decision (does not have to) and I believe tends to be done within weeks (the case must be pretty strong therefore shouldn't take 4 months). With COVID it could take longer and it is such a specific and niche situation I am not familiar with. I'd recommend not hanging too much on this, IRCC recommends either reapplying or filing in court:

Can I appeal a decision on a work permit application?
Under Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, there is no formal right of appeal on temporary resident decisions. Instead, you can reapply. If possible, a different officer will examine the application.​
You can also ask for a judicial review through the Federal Court of Canada, if you think the process was not fair. A lawyer in Canada would act on your behalf.​

I do not want to be too negative about it but in my opinion (and it is just an opinion) this is more of a way for consultants to get more money with a very low chance of success in most circumstances.
OP asked for reconsideration (this is different than appealing).

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
OP asked for reconsideration (this is different than appealing).
Oh I understood that Scylla, I believe what I talked about above is related to reconsideration. The part I quoted about appeal is just that this is the recommendation from IRCC (also it is regarding appeal it is still good recommendation if he hasn't heard from his consultant's reconsideration request which as mentioned above is at the discretion of the officer. Again I do not know the specificities and have heard about that request more often for PR application (especially PNP I believe) but after 4 months I find it less likely to reach a positive outcome (usually takes a few weeks for the officer to consider it).

Reactions: scylla