+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time of Citizenship Certificate for New Born outside Canada

forcavisa

Jul 3, 2011
Anyone could help?

I have applied my baby's application (citizenship certificate) last September, i sent file to Sydney since Beijing Embassy told me processing time is faster if i send my file there. however, I called CIC today, they say that processing time is more than one year, could take even longer, does anyone know whats going on? I remember it showed like 8 month in CIC's website, now it shows 19 month.

Im Canadian Citizen and live in Toronto, Baby was born last June in China. I hope to bring baby back to Toronto as soon as possible, anyone can give me some suggestions? Per CIC's response, i have to wait even until 2013 to have the citizenship certificate and bring baby back to Canada? this is ridiculous.

Many Thanks

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
It is ridiculous, and when I get back to Canada, I plan on submitting a letter to CIC or whomever, outlining why this is the stupidest thing in the world. They should process these sorts of requests at the Embassy or Consulate. It should be done as quickly as they do replacement / new passports.

I also applied from China, but I did it at the Consulate...in December 2011. If my wife gets her visa before my son gets his citizenship card, I will go to the Consulate to explain the situation and get him an emergency passport so that we can get him out of China. This is the way they do things, so don't worry, you needn't wait until the card arrives in China...however...I am still in the dark as to what happens if my son leaves China...will they send the card to the Consulate in China????

Good old government red tape...gotta love it.

FS

forcavisa

Jul 3, 2011
this is ridiculous? do you know if baby comes to Toronto and in the period of waiting for certificate of citizenship, will she be eligible for OHIP?

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Your guess is as good as mine. I have no idea. All I know is that the Canadian government ought to learn how to provide more efficient services, especially when a newborn is involved. Seriously, a year + to get proof of citizenship even though one of the parents is a Canadian citizen born and raised in Canada...it's the stupidest thing in the world...but then again...dealing with governments always involves a lot of hassle...

In any event, I am assuming that without 'proof' of citizenship, even with a valid Canadian passport, it will be difficult to get OHIP or other documents / cards. I'd suggest contacting the Consulate closest to you, or where you submitted the application, to find out what they have to say...

Good luck!

FS

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
My baby was born in the US and I got her Canadian citizenship really fast. They mailed a letter asking for more paperwork and even with my error it was fast. Two months tops but shorter I think.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can also ask for expedited processing if you have travel plans in the near future. Helps to have tickets though.

As for the OHIP question, if a baby is born in ON, it gets OHIP right away. If a baby moves to Ontario, I assume it would have a 3 month waiting period just like everybody else who moves to Ontario except possibly if the parents or at least one of them already has OHIP, then they might make an exception. You should phone OHIP and ask about this. Keep in mind that if you have been outside Ontario for too long, you may have lost your own OHIP and may have to wait 3 months yourself.