+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Process to relinquish my Canadian PR. Urgent ..

Krishnasg

Jun 23, 2013
Hello All

I applied for Canadian PR in 1999 and got it in 2003 with 5 year validity (2008). Due to personal circumstances , i couldn't relocate to Canada , in the 5 year period. Meanwhile i settled in Singapore and now one of Canadian company has offered me a good role and want me to relocate to Canada.

The issue is , they couldn't apply for work visa , because of the expired Canadian PR. I am desperately trying to relinquish the Canadian PR,couldn't locate any form or information apart from filing IMM 5539 B.
But i couldn't locate the forms anywhere.

Added to that my current company is looking to close down the dept i am currently , so really stuck in between rock and and hard place.

Any suggestions to relinquish my PR would be really good.

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate the input.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Krishnasg said:
Hello All

I applied for Canadian PR in 1999 and got it in 2003 with 5 year validity (2008). Due to personal circumstances , i couldn't relocate to Canada , in the 5 year period. Meanwhile i settled in Singapore and now one of Canadian company has offered me a good role and want me to relocate to Canada.

The issue is , they couldn't apply for work visa , because of the expired Canadian PR. I am desperately trying to relinquish the Canadian PR,couldn't locate any form or information apart from filing IMM 5539 B.
But i couldn't locate the forms anywhere.

Added to that my current company is looking to close down the dept i am currently , so really stuck in between rock and and hard place.

Any suggestions to relinquish my PR would be really good.

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate the input.
1. You need to contact CHC Singapore

Here is what the Enforcement EN 23 manual says.

ENF 23 Loss of Permanent Resident Status
2005-11-25 26
When a person approaches CIC and requests to relinquish their status, they may be allowed to
complete the IMM 5539B (Declaration: Relinquishment of Permanent Resident Status/Residency
Obligation Met) provided they are truly voluntarily relinquishing their status and fully understand
the consequences. The person can then be treated as a foreign national. A copy of the
IMM 5539B should be sent to the QRC to be stored on microfiche.
Officers should always conduct an interview in person when accepting voluntary relinquishment
of permanent resident status. This procedure is not to be used in lieu of completing a residency
obligation determination for persons who might satisfy the residency obligation in A28 and where
they are only seeking to come to Canada temporarily.

Krishnasg

Jun 23, 2013
Applied for the Relinquishment on the July 14th , got the process completed on the 4th Oct 2013. It did take bit of time due to the Strike.

But i glad i did.. Do note the time line , may be different .. mine also had work permit attached to the application. So that might be added to the total processing.

The normal timeline is 2 weeks ...