+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Procedural fairness letter - medical grounds - need advice for lawyers

MARJEB

Feb 12, 2023
Is there a specific H&C argument. If they live in the UK they have access to good medical care so that’s not an argument. How many children do they have and where do they live In the world?
I know it will be difficult this is why I feel hopeless. They live alone and take care of themselves. I have three siblings, one lives in the US, one in Diba and the third one on the UK but he cut ties with my parents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I know it will be difficult this is why I feel hopeless. They live alone and take care of themselves. I have three siblings, one lives in the US, one in Diba and the third one on the UK but he cut ties with my parents.
The fact that they have a child in the UK and can care for themselves also are tough things to overcome. Unfortunately people parent sponsorship is not guaranteed which Canada should do a better job at clarifying for people. Certainly no harm in trying to fight to get approved. For your best chance hiring a lawyer is your best option if you have the funds. If you don’t have the funds to pay for a lawyer I would suggest you also look into the costs associated with parent sponsorship and getting older in Canada. For example if your parent needed to go into a longterm care facility are you aware that you would need to pay a monthly fee for the next 20 years (10 years in Quebec)? Monthly bed fees are usually between 1-1.5k/ month. Given your father has multiple health issues you may be surprised that many things are not covered or only partially covered when it comes to healthcare. The UK has closer to 100% Medicare while Canada is closer to 70%. Things like mobility devices, devices that help people with poor sight,some diabetic supplies are only partially covered or not covered at all. Would suggest looking into this depending on your financial situation and theirs.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
The fact that they have a child in the UK and can care for themselves also are tough things to overcome. Unfortunately people parent sponsorship is not guaranteed which Canada should do a better job at clarifying for people. Certainly no harm in trying to fight to get approved. For your best chance hiring a lawyer is your best option if you have the funds. If you don’t have the funds to pay for a lawyer I would suggest you also look into the costs associated with parent sponsorship and getting older in Canada. For example if your parent needed to go into a longterm care facility are you aware that you would need to pay a monthly fee for the next 20 years (10 years in Quebec)? Monthly bed fees are usually between 1-1.5k/ month. Given your father has multiple health issues you may be surprised that many things are not covered or only partially covered when it comes to healthcare. The UK has closer to 100% Medicare while Canada is closer to 70%. Things like mobility devices, devices that help people with poor sight,some diabetic supplies are only partially covered or not covered at all. Would suggest looking into this depending on your financial situation and theirs.
Agree with canuck78. Cost of care is very high in Canada. My mother (not sponsored under PGP) is staying at home instead of a care home but the cost of purchasing and renting all the medical equitment are very expensive. All the supplies also add up...
(e.g. hosptial bed is over $3000, an air mattress to prevent bed sore is $3000+, wheelchair $3000 - $8000, medical patient lift system $8000+ ...etc)

Reactions: canuck78

MARJEB

Feb 12, 2023
Agree with canuck78. Cost of care is very high in Canada. My mother (not sponsored under PGP) is staying at home instead of a care home but the cost of purchasing and renting all the medical equitment are very expensive. All the supplies also add up...
(e.g. hosptial bed is over $3000, an air mattress to prevent bed sore is $3000+, wheelchair $3000 - $8000, medical patient lift system $8000+ ...etc)
Thank you for the heads up. I want them to live with me and I will provide all the care they need. Financially it will be difficult to hire a lawyer for the entire process. but I want to set a consultation session see what advise I would get and whether there is a chance at all.
I am thinking to re-locate to the UK but I have two high-school kids and they really don't want to leave. Same with my husnabd, he has stable job which makes it risky to leave. I feel I'm torn between my family here and my parents, it is really difficult.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the heads up. I want them to live with me and I will provide all the care they need. Financially it will be difficult to hire a lawyer for the entire process. but I want to set a consultation session see what advise I would get and whether there is a chance at all.
I am thinking to re-locate to the UK but I have two high-school kids and they really don't want to leave. Same with my husnabd, he has stable job which makes it risky to leave. I feel I'm torn between my family here and my parents, it is really difficult.
Realistically if you can’t afford to hire a lawyer how will you pay for the cost of care even at home? You may not be able to be able to care for your your parents at home forever especially if you don’t have a lift, accessible bathroom, proper hospital bed that prevents bed sores, etc. If your father has all these health issues there is a good chance that he may end up in a wheelchair due to neuropathy, need a hospital bed, need incontinence supplies, diabetic supplies, vision supplies like a magnifier, etc. I would suggest you speak to someone in your local area about the real cost of caring for a senior with medical needs in Canada. Would also price out any services and supplies they may be currently receiving in the UK. Many people assume everything is covered but the reality is that many things are not.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

saskatoongirl

Apr 30, 2016
Hi,

Thanks for replying. His diabetes is perfectly under control even on insulin and even his creatinine is in this range since last 8 years. In letter they only talked about kidneys and want explanation about kidneys.

I understand what you are saying.

I will hire a lawyer soon.

I don’t know why but for some reason I feel guilty and Think that my phone call is the reason for the letter, my call was like a reminder for them.

They also have visitor extension in process and they got procedural fairness in July and for that we replied on our own I mean without lawyer but still waiting for response on that
Hi, can you pls let me know if your application for your fathers PR was approved ? And which lawyer did you hire?