+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Procedural Fairness Letter - Advice Needed

mominmalik5

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
NOC Code......
Guys I'm in a difficult situation and need your advice.

I applied for PR via Express Entry and declared my 2 visa refusals in statutory questions (1 or UK and 1 of USA) - ticking YES in both sections mentioning visa refusals of statutory questions. These two were my only visa refusals to date.

I've been served a PFL stating that "I have information indicating that you were refused entry or refused visa to the US in 2017"

-

However my family (including me of course) was granted 5 year USA B1/B2 visas in 2017 - the only US visa appointment I made for 2017.
I have never visited USA to date and in the passport section I had attached my 5 year valid visa starting from January 2017. So, quite frankly, I consider the officer's claim completely egregious. He has alleged misrepresentation as well. I am getting a lawyer for representation, but I would like to know your suggestions how this could have happened? How should I got about disabusing the officer's claim?

What do you think will happen after I submit my documents because it's giving me quite an anxiety. Such a claim after such pure efforts are demotivating. What hopes are there for me?

Best Regards

@scylla @Bryanna @canuck_in_uk @canuck78 @legalfalcon

Last edited:

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019

I applied for PR via Express Entry and declared my 2 visa refusals in statutory questions (1 or UK and 1 of USA) - ticking YES in both sections mentioning visa refusals of statutory questions. These two were my only visa refusals to date.

I've been served a PFL stating that "I have information indicating that you were refused entry or refused visa to the US in 2017"

-

However my family (including me of course) was granted 5 year USA B1/B2 visas in 2017 - the only US visa appointment I made for 2017.
I have never visited USA to date and in the passport section I had attached my 5 year valid visa starting from January 2017. So, quite frankly, I consider the officer's claim completely egregious. He has alleged misrepresentation as well. I am getting a lawyer for representation, but I would like to know your suggestions how this could have happened? How should I got about disabusing the officer's claim?

What do you think will happen after I submit my documents because it's giving me quite an anxiety. Such a claim after such pure efforts are demotivating. What hopes are there for me?

Best Regards

For one to be able to tell you why the officer called you out for misrepresentation, you need to upload the full letter. Please black out any information which you deem to be sensitive.

How should you go about disabusing the officer's claim? Well, you already mentioned that you are lawyering up and he/she would be the best person to write a letter on your behalf.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

-

Best Regards

The PLF is not an allegation against you. If you are engaging a lawyer, then the lawyer should advise you. The response to the PLF cannot be in parts. So when you state that you are engaging a lawyer for misrepresentation, are you suggesting that you are not engaging the lawyer for the entire PFL.

And if you re engaging a lawyer, there is no point soliciting advise here because no one is privy to your application or the PFL.

Also, a PFL is a letter seeking additional evidence and clarification. It is not an indictment.

Dec 7, 2019
I was in the same situation and stupidly replied to Procedural Fairness Letter myself. If you are going to apply on your own, make sure you write a long explanation and include evidence. Or hire a lawyer to help you with the fairness letter.

I did not realize how important it was to hire a lawyer to reply to the letter. I received a 5-year ban. After I received the ban i made a search on Fairness Letters and found this firm's article on their website. https://www.matkowsky.ca/procedural-fairness-letter. I called them and they really were professsional and after talking to me I felt confident that they can help me. They specialize in more difficult cases. I hired them for fighting the 5-year misrepresentation ban through the Judicial Review. They were so good, they settled the case with the lawyer from IRCC. The lawyer from IRCC decided to settle and accept the settlement offer instead of going through the whole Federal Court process. Matkowsky Immigration Lawyers know what they are doing and can help. I was concerned with fighting through the Judicial Review process because it can be expensive if it has to go all the way to Federal Court. But Matkowsky's Senior Lawyer Sonia told me most cases like this they settle the case, and it doesnt need to go all the way to Federal Court so the fees are cheaper.

I spent alot of time searching and reading. It has been very stressful on me. But I am happy now that I got the ban removed and my application approved. If you decide to reply on your own and get a ban, call them to get help fighting the ban.

Here is some information that they sent me after I consulted them. It is really good explaining the Judicial Review process to fight the ban and it is not that expensive if the case settles.

Wishing you Good Luck!

What is the Process of a Judicial Review?

There are three stages in a successful judicial review:

• Leave: First, we must apply for Leave. We will have two opportunities to engage in settlement discussions before the Leave stage ends. As part of the Leave stage we need to submit an application record. An application record consists of our legal and factual arguments that we make on your behalf. Leave means asking the judge to hear our case. If the judge refuses to hear the case, then that ends the judicial review.
  • Oral Arguments: Second, we argue the case in front of a judge against a lawyer that represents IRCC.
  • Re-determination: If the judge agrees with our side then the judicial review is allowed. Winning a judicial review doesn’t mean the judge approves your immigration application. Instead the decision is returned to IRCC where a new immigration officer evaluates the application, with instructions from the judge. The instructions from the judge will say that the previous decision was flawed. The new immigration officer technically has the power to refuse the immigration application again for different reasons, but in the vast majority of cases the immigration application will be approved.

Settlement with IRCC

The single greatest cost and time saving process for our clients is settlement.

Settlement involves reaching out to the lawyer on the other side and presenting a strong case as early as possible. As part of your judicial review application we will submit a several page settlement proposal to the lawyer on the other side in order to secure settlement as early as possible.

If the lawyer on the other side agrees with our position, they will offer to settle the case instead of spending the time, money and energy necessary to argue the case in Federal Court.

As part of our professional fee we will provide strong settlement offers on two separate occasions during the Leave stage. This helps ensure that our cases are settled as fast as possible, with minimal cost to the client.

Most of our cases settle at the Leave stage.

Time Limits

There are strict time limits for starting a judicial review. If the decision was made inside of Canada, the eligibility window to file is 15-days after receiving a negative decision. If the decision was made outside of Canada, it is 60-days.

The Costs of a Judicial Review

Our professional fees are broken down into stages. Since we always look to settle a case as early as possible, we only collect the fees for one stage at a time.

For a breakdown of our fees, please see below:
  • Leave Part One: This involves submitting the necessary paperwork to start the Judicial Review in Federal Court. We will also receive and analyze the immigration officer’s reasons for refusing the immigration application. Our firm will draft a settlement offer to the lawyer representing IRCC which contains legal and factual arguments in support of settling the case. We will negotiate over the phone with the lawyer on the other side. The majority of our cases settle at stage one of Leave. The professional fee for stage one is $4,000 plus a court filing fee of $50.
  • Leave Part Two: If IRCC’s lawyer refuses to settle then we need to prepare and submit an application record. This is where we outline our full factual and legal arguments on your behalf. These arguments are more technical in nature, using case law and this is a much longer submission. IRCC’s lawyer will then respond with their own arguments. Once all the arguments are reviewed by both parties, our firm will again make efforts to negotiate a settlement. The professional fee for stage two is $5,000.
  • Oral Arguments: If there is no settlement and if leave is granted, and the judge agrees to hear our case, then Sonia will present oral arguments in Federal Court. The professional fee to appear in Federal Court is $2,500.
  • Redetermination: If a case is settled at any stage or if we go through the whole court process and win, then the application is sent back to an immigration officer for redetermination. We will have the opportunity to present new, written submissions and new evidence to IRCC at this stage to update the application. We can use this opportunity to present additional documents or address any weak points in the original application. These written submissions to IRCC will be different than the submissions for the judicial review process. The written submissions for the Judicial Review process centers around how IRCC made an error in judgement or assessment on the original application. The submissions to IRCC after winning settlement or a Judicial Review is to present explanation and documents to prove why a person is eligible for that application. Additional submissions are not required in every application. If nothing has substantially changed since the time of submitting the original application, additional submissions may not be necessary. The profession fee for additional submissions is $2,500.

The most common (and desired) outcome is settlement ($4,000), with the opportunity to present IRCC with updated written submissions and evidentiary documents to consider ($2,500) in the Re-determination.

Reactions: KingTech

westernguy416

Jan 31, 2019
My mom and my brother got PFL. My mom application is under parents sponsorship with my brother type c dependent because of mental condition, they said my brother does not qualify for type C, I’d like to hire a lawyer to respond to PFL, can you please suggest some good lawyers? Preferrably in BC

NavSran

Oct 22, 2020
Received PPR after fighting PFL :)

AOR: 26th August, 2019 (London Visa Office)

PFL Date: 28th November, 2019

PFL Response Submitted: 13th December, 2019

Ghost Update: 6th January, 2020

PPR: 10th January 2020

Please suggest me, do you think I can win the situation,

I have applied PR under tr to pr pathway with my spouse, i have been issued a PFL saying that my husband forgot to mention his prior visa refusals,
but, we have mentioned visa refusals in his Imm5669,

since, i was principal applicant, i was supposed to mention his refusal as well but did not.

I don’t know, if I should say that it is, an innocent mistake, will they consider it?

My lawyer is giving me good advise, though, I want to go so smoothly, want to avoid 5 year ban,

Please suggest me

miguelca

May 6, 2021
Please suggest me, do you think I can win the situation,

I have applied PR under tr to pr pathway with my spouse, i have been issued a PFL saying that my husband forgot to mention his prior visa refusals,
but, we have mentioned visa refusals in his Imm5669,

since, i was principal applicant, i was supposed to mention his refusal as well but did not.

I don’t know, if I should say that it is, an innocent mistake, will they consider it?

My lawyer is giving me good advise, though, I want to go so smoothly, want to avoid 5 year ban,

Please suggest me
Your lawyer will have better judgement and advise than random volunteers (not lawyers) on the internet.

You have a lawyer, use it.

You don’t trust your lawyer? go get a new one.

NavSran

Oct 22, 2020
Your lawyer will have better judgement and advise than random volunteers (not lawyers) on the internet.

You have a lawyer, use it.

You don’t trust your lawyer? go get a new one.
I am just asking, for any possibilities of how would I get it.

will it be considered genuine mistake?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My mom and my brother got PFL. My mom application is under parents sponsorship with my brother type c dependent because of mental condition, they said my brother does not qualify for type C, I’d like to hire a lawyer to respond to PFL, can you please suggest some good lawyers? Preferrably in BC
You are in a catch 22. If treated people suffering from schizophrenia can lead fairly normal lives where they can care for themselves, can work, etc. and so wouldn’t qualify for sponsorship. If schizophrenia is not well controlled it would be very easy to be considered an excessive demand case. If you qualify for disability payments, need regular psychiatric care with some inpatient stays, etc. you would easily hit over 20k/yr.