+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problems with Application for PR travel document

Discussion in 'Permanent Residency Obligations' started by wowsers, Aug 7, 2019.

  1. I am a PR, granted my status in 2014. For the whole of the 5 years since then I have been living in the UK with a Canadian common law spouse and so can rely on the whole of those 5 years as complying with the residency requirement. However the validity of my PR card has expired (in June this year) and so to return to Canada I need to apply for a permanent resident travel document. I find the Canadian Government website convoluted and confusing and have already wasted 3 days attempting (in particular) to discover how to pay the $50 fee. The Canadian High Commission in London has delegated the work of dealing with applications for the travel document to a private company (a Dubai company). I have tried asking for help but have difficulty in understanding the accents of the people who reply to my inquiries; so my telephone inquiries have got me nowhere Can any one here help?
    What I have done already is to create a GCKey account, which seems to be a prerequisite for paying the fee. It is clear that one can pay using a credit card but I have failed to find any form to complete. Possibly there is no such form but that would be odd: if I buy something on the internet using a credit card I need without exception to complete a simple form stating what I want to buy, how many things I want and matters of that kind. Complete lack of success on my part in finding any such form! Help!
  2. Many thanks 21 Goose; but I am familiar with the page you refer to and can see nothing helpful in it: notwithstanding the title 'how to pay your fees' at the bottom of the first page (and over) it really says nothing of any use: ''remember to include your receipt..keep a copy for your records'' says nothing about how to pay. Over the page it asks for a valid email address, which again does not help and finally print out a receipt says nothing. Is there a form in which one identifies the application and gives the credit card details?
  3. Since you're applying on paper, you will click the link on this page. The one that says "Pay my fees online". That will take you to this page


    Under Step 3, Choose Option 1 - "Answer questions to get fees". Then, choose the following options in the wizard

    "Permanently live in Canada or get permanent resident documents"

    Followed by

    "I'm applying for a Permanent Resident document"

    Followed by

    "Permanent Resident travel document"

    Then, enter the number of PRTDs you're applying for (1, in your case), and it will take you to a page where you can finally submit the payment using your credit card and get a receipt.

    Then, you'll print the receipt and submit that along with the rest of the documents in the PRTD application process.

    Have you read the guides? It sounds like you're confused about the process.

    canuck_in_uk likes this.
  4. Did you and your spouse ever live in Canada?
    jddd likes this.
  5. Curious about this too. I think the OP has a complication that has not been considered. To be approved under a spousal sponsorship, you would have needed to prove intent to move to Canada. From your other posts, it seems you landed but went back to the UK immediately and your spouse did not even go back to Canada.

    Since real estate agents have been the ones caring for the sale of your property(ies), IRCC will likely question why both you and your spouse needed to stay in the UK. I think your intention to move to Canada will be questioned from 2014. At worst, they can revoke your PR for misrepresentation of intent (since your spouse never actually moved back to Canada and stayed in the UK when you landed). I didn’t read all your posts though so I could be wrong. Just alerting you to this possibility. Good luck.
  6. Yes, if you have not shown any intention of living in Canada (I don't know your history), then there can certainly be issues getting a PRTD.
  7. Many thanks for all of you who have replied to my query. I am writing this before following the steps recommended by Goose 21, but will do so this morning. I landed in Canada in April 2014 and my spouse has subsequently had a house built for us there. It is at present lived in by a succession of tenants in order to avoid the penalties which BC has thought fit to impose on the owners of vacant second houses. I cannot claim to have lived there at any time. I have the good fortune (or as the case may be misfortune: it depends on your point of view) of living in a listed mansion house (with 42 rooms) in rural Wales (listed meaning in Canadian English, I think, heritage property). It was put on the market for sale with both a local and a national estate agent immediately I returned to the UK in 2014 and it has been on the market for sale ever since; but there have been no offers until this year. It is not the kind of property that can be left to be looked after by estate agents: there are 6 acres of gardens for example which need tending by paid gardeners and it is surrounded by tall trees which fall from time to time as old age catches up with them. I would be in trouble with Cadw (the heritage property authority in Wales) if I allowed the house to deteriorate. I am long since retired from my work as a lawyer so would not have been looking for work in Canada. What more can I say? I would be happy enough continuing to live in Wales, but that was not my intention, since my Canadian spouse is anxious to get back home to live near her family before we are both too old to undertake the move. I had understood that the PRtravel document was a formality and that the purpose of it was to keep tabs on the PR to ensure that he applied asap after returning to Canada for a renewal of his PR card, which is certainly my intention. I think that is all I need to mention at present. Does anyone have personal experience of a PRTD being refused because the applicant had been absent from Canada for longer than the validity period of his card?
  8. So either apply for a PRTD explain8ng your situation, OR fly to the US and cross at a Canadian land border with all you documentation and explain to the CBSA guy at the border.

    I too had a Grade 2 listed house, nowhere near as grand as yours, and it took 3 years to sell, I feel for you!
  9. The issue is that your time with your Canadian spouse may not be counted since you never actually lived in Canada and relocated. Your spouse may have to sponsor you again or you can try to go through the US.
  10. Recently I applied for PRTD from Russia and paid the fee in a visa office when submitted all documents. I'm not sure how it works in other countries.
  11. You can try applying for a PRTD, and you may very well get it with no issues. We're just alerting you to the possibility that you may have issues since you never lived in Canada. Just something to keep in mind.
  12. As I expected, my PR travel document was granted without problems. I posted the application on 14th August, it was granted on 20th August and my passport with the appropriate sticker in it was delivered to me by courier this morning (24th August). 10 days from start to finish! My faith in Canadian bureaucracy is restored and my former faith in the doom and gloom merchants on this site shattered! Many thanks nevertheless for your help, particularly 21Goose who pointed me in the right direction, enabling me to pay the fee!
  13. That's good news. Now make sure you keep meeting your Residency Obligations, and become a citizen when you are able to - then you'll never need to worry about RO/PR/PRTD or anything like that.
  14. Doom and gloom on this site is usually pointing out how the rules should be applied but often aren’t. The fact that you are from the UK means that people often don’t pay as much attention. To receive PR you had agree that you would be relocating to Canada soon after receiving PR. They have gotten much more strict when it comes to proof of relocation because many people never moved to Canada. The time counted while with your Canadian spouse should only count if you actually lived in Canada before relocating and should be only if the move was driven by the Canadian citizen’s job or family requirements. Sometimes it is enforced sometimes it is not. Given that you never moved to Canada and that it has been over 5 years I don’t think you could really complain if you weren’t given the PRTD. You were lucky and received the PRTD.
    jddd likes this.

Share This Page