+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problem with Proof of Citizenship application.

Dan in Wisconsin

Feb 25, 2017
I've run out of things to try. I'm still wandering through the CIC website looking for a way to inquire but so far can't come up with anything.

My application for a proof of citizenship certificate was approved a few months ago. After mine was accepted, my sister applied. She sent it registered mail. We both live in the US.

Her application was delivered May 7 2018. She hasn't heard from the CIC yet. It's been 76 calendar days, 55 work days. I got my own AOR 16 days after sending the app. (That was in July/August 2017)

We're trying to find a way to inquire but without a UCI or an application number, there does not seem to be a way to contact an office.

Can anyone give us any direction?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately, your sister will just have to wait until they get to and open her envelope, then verify that her application is completed per their standards before they send her the AOR. They can't track it on their end until they assign her a UCI, and that can only be done when the AOR is sent out. You can probably imagine that they receive a whole lot of different types of correspondences every day; and I'm sure you know how "fast" a government agency moves.

PS - I'm still in Program Support, 368 days later...

Dan in Wisconsin

Feb 25, 2017
I've used the IRCC Web form to ask about her status, not expecting a response, but they did respond. They wouldn't give me any personal info because I'm not officially her agent yet, but they did acknowledge that they have a file for her. I *think* that means they've begun to process her application. It could mean they only know her through her use of the web payment for the fee but I don't think so.

We've begun the process of making me her representative. I filled out the form and then printed it and signed it, then mailed it to her priority mail. She'll get it Friday, add her signature, then scan it and send me a copy, then mail it to the office in Sydney.

I'll take the copy she sends me and see if I can use the IRCC Web form to deliver it since it gives us the opportunity to add documents after the form is filled out.

Has anyone tried to do that? I figure it couldn't hurt.

If I can get them to tell me whether the application is in process yet, and if it is, get her UCI and application number, she won't need a representative any more.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
About three times. The third time was my anniversary date of IP; the agent said he couldn't do anything for another 12 months but suggested that I mail a letter to Sydney asking for an update since he did not see any notes on file since it was sent to Program Support a year ago. So I did that the next day through registered mail, and it was delivered 10 days later. No response yet.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Wow. Would it help at all to call from inside Canada? We're visiting friends in Ontario in September.
I don't see how. The only difference is that you can use the toll-free number within Canada; the quality of service you would receive would probably be the same if you were to call long-distance from outside Canada.

Suhails660

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
I don't see how. The only difference is that you can use the toll-free number within Canada; the quality of service you would receive would probably be the same if you were to call long-distance from outside Canada.
What is ur timeline please ??

Suhails660

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
I've been "In Process" and Program Support for almost 14 months now.
OMG 14 months. Processing time is only 5 months. How do they take 14 months.

My ECAS status :
1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on April 11, 2018.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on May 22, 2018.

Its been 5 months. Since, Application received. Processing time of 5 months has exceeded. Even it is not changed into "In process".

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
OMG 14 months. Processing time is only 5 months. How do they take 14 months.

My ECAS status :
1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on April 11, 2018.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on May 22, 2018.

Its been 5 months. Since, Application received. Processing time of 5 months has exceeded. Even it is not changed into "In process".
Applications that get sent to Program Support do not have an estimated processing time, though after 24 months you can make a formal inquiry about its status.

Processing time begins when your application status is changed to "In Process" in eCAS. So unless they forgot to update your status between now and when you got the AOR, they have not begun processing your application yet. You can contact them and ask if they have begun processing, or if this was an oversight.