+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Principal applicant landing without sponsor presence …. Is feasible?

moliKT

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
Hi experts

i am the sponsor and my spouse got copr And ready to travel.

the question is that, I am outside Canada and will continue to stay for sometime . While am outside can my spouse principal applicant can travel to Canada without my presence in Canada?
Kindly advise

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi experts

the question is that, I am outside Canada and will continue to stay for sometime . While am outside can my spouse principal applicant can travel to Canada without my presence in Canada?
Kindly advise
Yes. Although note, your 'sometime' is quite vague - since a spousal sponsorship is based on residence of the sponsor (or intent to move if a citizen), it's conceivable IRCC could cause problems if they determine or think you're not living in Canada. Rare but conceivable.

Reactions: moliKT

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi experts

Kindly advise
Sponsorship is to reunite spouses in Canada which doesn’t seem to be your goal as a couple so yes it could be an issue at landing or in the future. It appears as though you are not currently in Canada with no plans on returning. Had you updated IRCC about the fact that you were no longer living in Canada during your application? That would be considered misrepresentation. The fact that you sponsored your spouse while you had already left Canada with no plans on returning and that your spouse plans on leaving Canada to join you abroad would defeat the purpose of the sponsorship program and could be an issue at PR card renewal or citizenship application. If you never settled with your spouse in Canada then you could also struggle to count time spent living abroad with your spouse towards your RO since the new PR never established a life with their Canadian spouse in Canada.

Last edited:

moliKT

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
Yes. Although note, your 'sometime' is quite vague - since a spousal sponsorship is based on residence of the sponsor (or intent to move if a citizen), it's conceivable IRCC could cause problems if they determine or think you're not living in Canada. Rare but conceivable.
Hi Armoured

Sorry for not being clear with details.

I am a sponsor And still employed to Canadian employer. since we are expecting ,doctor advised me not to travel now. However my spouse copr end Date is nearing. So can he do landing while am outside.

including child in his PR application might be lengthy and put into jeopardize situation as I need to get back to work. Can’t leave spouse and child in back home. Do you see any observations here ?

kindly advice with spouse landing process. Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am a sponsor And still employed to Canadian employer. since we are expecting ,doctor advised me not to travel now. However my spouse copr end Date is nearing. So can he do landing while am outside.

including child in his PR application might be lengthy and put into jeopardize situation as I need to get back to work. Can’t leave spouse and child in back home. Do you see any observations here ?
If he arrives in Canada to land (even if he departs afterwards) before the child is born, well - there is no child to add to his application.

If the child is born before he lands, the child MUST be added to his application as dependent.

I believe that if the child is born, they may suspend/rescind his COPR / visa in favour of issuing a new one. This would have effect (most likely) of extending the final deadline by which he must land.

BUT: that may raise issue of your not residing in Canada as is expected of sponsors.

Therefore, I'd suggest it is a bit cleaner and less risky for him to travel now and land/become a PR, even if only for soft landing. This is only my opinion, can't say for sure.

That may complicate bringing the child to Canada, making it dependent upon getting a TRV.