+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Principal Applicant (Inland) Dependent (Outland) during COVID-19

maxmeomeo

Star Member
Aug 13, 2020
I am kinda in the same situation, my wife's daughter 14 years old is not in Canada and we have a PR application in progress, IRCC will not issue for her any visa whether student visa or accompanying parents, although she holds a visitor visa she will not be able to come to Canada until our PR application finalizes (we were told by one of the agents at the border). I know other parents with your exact same situation and they have to wait for the parent sponsorship application to get their daughter in Canada and they are waiting in India. Is because of the policy that states the foreigner needs to prove that is going back home once his/her visa expires and they do not have strong links in Canada like my daughter does, which in this case is us. Sounds stupid but that is the answer the officer at the border gave us. After the Covid situation goes by we will get a lawyer's advice on how to proceed if our PR application is not finished by the time.
Does it mean your daughter will need to wait for PR approval to come here?
In what circumstance did you ask the agents at the border? Is it reliable? I haven't read anything like that

ss2663

Nov 9, 2020
It is true that some dependents got PPR but PRR is nothing if they are not issuing COPR. I know someone who's dependent got PPR in March but they are still waiting for COPR.
I am also in same situation. My dependents are in overseas right now. My PR got approved on April 28 itself. Due to this, even i cannot do soft landing. They clearly mentioned in my GCMS notes like my application is on hold due to overseas dependents. They will issue CoPR once they removed border restrictions.
Thanks for your info. I am just wondering if not getting a call from SC for biometric is anywhere related to your dependents being out of canada. They can anyways hold the application at PPR stage . Everyone's comment welcome

ForUs2020

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
May 16 2020
Thanks for your info. I am just wondering if not getting a call from SC for biometric is anywhere related to your dependents being out of canada. They can anyways hold the application at PPR stage . Everyone's comment welcome
Yes, it is related to not getting calls. I called IRCC to complain about my inland dependant not getting call and the 1st question the agent asked is if I have Dependants inland or outland. When I said inland, she said just wait for the call. So the summary is they are not calling you if you have a dependant outside

ForUs2020

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
May 16 2020
Yes, it is related to not getting calls. I called IRCC to complain about my inland dependant not getting call and the 1st question the agent asked is if I have Dependants inland or outland. When I said inland, she said just wait for the call. So the summary is they are not calling you if you have a dependant outside
Its not fair at all. If biometrics collection was like before, then whether inland or outland, every one can get to give so why hold it now esp as there are openings in service Canada for appointments. Doesn't make sense at all

ss2663

Nov 9, 2020
Oh.. I see . For me The dependent's Biometrics were already done last year and have been updated on my EE profile , I am the primary applicant and waiting for call . Very difficult situation

ForUs2020

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
May 16 2020
Oh.. I see . For me The dependent's Biometrics were already done last year and have been updated on my EE profile , I am the primary applicant and waiting for call . Very difficult situation
Yes. And to think that the process of giving biometrics is just 5-10 mins.

visupreddy

Feb 4, 2020
Hey Guys,
It is true and confirmed news that primary applicant will not be granted PR until their dependents are in Canada.

@jasmin22 , that's why you did not received a call from service Canada.

Please see the post here.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/06/latest-guidelines-for-permanent-residence-applicants-0614602.html#gs.l265cw

Search for the below paragraph in above link.

"Principal applicants for permanent residents who are in Canada and have dependents abroad will continue to have their applications processed, but delays in processing may occur. However, the principal applicant should not be granted permanent residence if their dependents who are abroad are unable to travel"

Reactions: Loren27

dkdk1234

Oct 13, 2020
Hey Guys,
It is true and confirmed news that primary applicant will not be granted PR until their dependents are in Canada.

@jasmin22 , that's why you did not received a call from service Canada.

Please see the post here.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/06/latest-guidelines-for-permanent-residence-applicants-0614602.html#gs.l265cw

Search for the below paragraph in above link.

"Principal applicants for permanent residents who are in Canada and have dependents abroad will continue to have their applications processed, but delays in processing may occur. However, the principal applicant should not be granted permanent residence if their dependents who are abroad are unable to travel"
I am sure the process is going to start soon because in India they have started the PR application process. and people started traveling with 14 days mandatory quarantine. The best thing is to wait. :)

Reactions: visupreddy

Dragonsoul

Star Member
Oct 20, 2020
Category........
PNP
Does it mean your daughter will need to wait for PR approval to come here?
In what circumstance did you ask the agents at the border? Is it reliable? I haven't read anything like that
Exactly, my daughter was in the USA for a month in my relative's house and because is near to the border to Manitoba they took a trip, we met there and we requested entry for her to Canada, that was what the border agent told us. Because we have a PR application in progress she will have to wait until the application is finalized. Is not the only case you can look it up on the internet there are a few families with quite the same situation. I'm sure every case is different just ask for legal advice to make sure you will know what to do and where you stand for at this time.

Walle_007

Aug 8, 2019
COPIED FROM WHATSAPP GROUP TODAY! We SHOULD RASIE OUR VOICE TOGETHER LIKE SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP DUDES! It's unfair that FSW are getting PPR in less than 3 months and our files are not being processed just because we have any outland dependent

Use this link to write to the Minister of immigration Macro Mendocino from today after 6 pm. ( so they should see all of our requests tomorrow Nov 13, 2020, or whenever but at once).

http://marcomendicinomp.ca/mp-services/contact/

Do mention these things:

•we are a group of people with outland dependents
• 6 months up
•our files are frozen at a certain stage and not being processed further
• do mention that we understand disruption cause by covid however FSW outlands are getting pr in less than 3 months.
• mentioned how your long-distance marriage or relationship being ruined and how it's affecting your career here in Canada.

• anything else specific to your case

mknox

Aug 18, 2020
Edmonton
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-08-2020
Been following this thread and would like some advice. Can someone explain what the deal is with travel exemptions? From what I understand, a person's dependents would meet the criteria for a travel exemption (family reunification with a temporary resident of Canada). This would be considered travel for non-discretionary purposes. Are inlanders not getting COPRs even if their dependents have valid visitor visas AND they meet the travel exemption requirements? I don't understand.

I am citing below from this website cicnews, which is not official. Do we have any official confirmation of this from an official website?:
"Principal applicants for permanent residents who are in Canada and have dependents abroad will continue to have their applications processed, but delays in processing may occur. However, the principal applicant should not be granted permanent residence if their dependents who are abroad are unable to travel."

What exactly do they mean by "unable to travel"? Why would a dependent be "unable to travel" if there is a travel exemption in place for reuniting immediate family members? Can someone please explain what I am missing here?

bartemiousdjini

Apr 15, 2019
Been following this thread and would like some advice. Can someone explain what the deal is with travel exemptions? From what I understand, a person's dependents would meet the criteria for a travel exemption (family reunification with a temporary resident of Canada). This would be considered travel for non-discretionary purposes. Are inlanders not getting COPRs even if their dependents have valid visitor visas AND they meet the travel exemption requirements? I don't understand.

I am citing below from this website cicnews, which is not official. Do we have any official confirmation of this from an official website?:
"Principal applicants for permanent residents who are in Canada and have dependents abroad will continue to have their applications processed, but delays in processing may occur. However, the principal applicant should not be granted permanent residence if their dependents who are abroad are unable to travel."

What exactly do they mean by "unable to travel"? Why would a dependent be "unable to travel" if there is a travel exemption in place for reuniting immediate family members? Can someone please explain what I am missing here?
For me, my dependent does not have a Canada Visit Visa.
You're correct, inland applicants who have outland dependents can invite their dependents to apply for a Visit visa and come to Canada under the family re-unification clause BUT at the same time, news from everyone from a few weeks ago to a few months ago indicates that IRCC is not doing landing for inland applications because they have outland dependents who are ineligible to travel... it is conflicting information..

I suggest everyone in this situation to apply for their dependent's visa, maybe when the dependent is in Canada, IRCC will do the landing. This is what I am doing.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#existing

mknox

Aug 18, 2020
Edmonton
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-08-2020
For me, my dependent does not have a Canada Visit Visa.
You're correct, inland applicants who have outland dependents can invite their dependents to apply for a Visit visa and come to Canada under the family re-unification clause BUT at the same time, news from everyone from a few weeks ago to a few months ago indicates that IRCC is not doing landing for inland applications because they have outland dependents who are ineligible to travel... it is conflicting information..

I suggest everyone in this situation to apply for their dependent's visa, maybe when the dependent is in Canada, IRCC will do the landing. This is what I am doing.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#existing
Thank you for answering. I just got the e-COPR in my mycic account for all of us. I think, however, that they are not sure if my dependents are inside or not as they have asked me to submit photos inside Canada. I have emailed them to ask. I am now unable to feel fully happy about the copr because I am worried they might cancel it now that I informed them that my dependents are not here.

iravlad

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
October 2019
Did
Thank you for answering. I just got the e-COPR in my mycic account for all of us. I think, however, that they are not sure if my dependents are inside or not as they have asked me to submit photos inside Canada. I have emailed them to ask. I am now unable to feel fully happy about the copr because I am worried they might cancel it now that I informed them that my dependents are not here.
did previously CIC request information from you - whether your dependents are inside or outside Canada? Was it mentioned from the beggining in your application that their country of residence is not Canada? And how did you know that eCOPR is for all of you? Sorry for so many questions