+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Primary Inspection Kiosks Questions

NNL

Nov 5, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have a relative visiting Canada soon who doesn't speak/understand English well, and she will need to use the recently introduced Primary Inspection Kiosks. I did a search online and was unsuccessful in finding the exact questions / sequence of steps that one needs to answer at the kiosk in order to get the printed customs paper.

I am aware that one may not use the kiosks and proceed to the border officer instead, which might be an alternative option given that they can get a translator for her to talk to the officer. Still, would appreciate any input from your experiences with the kiosk in regards to the sequence of steps and questions asked.

Thanks in advance.

Anwers

Mar 30, 2017
Karachi
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I have a relative visiting Canada soon who doesn't speak/understand English well, and she will need to use the recently introduced Primary Inspection Kiosks. I did a search online and was unsuccessful in finding the exact questions / sequence of steps that one needs to answer at the kiosk in order to get the printed customs paper.

I am aware that one may not use the kiosks and proceed to the border officer instead, which might be an alternative option given that they can get a translator for her to talk to the officer. Still, would appreciate any input from your experiences with the kiosk in regards to the sequence of steps and questions asked.

Thanks in advance.
very simple questions.. mostly declaration of goods .money and food item
Secondly there will be staff which will guide and help her all the way so nothing to be worry about..

NNL

Nov 5, 2012
Thanks @Anwers.

My main concern is that she will not fully understand what she is being asked, unless she prepares for it beforehand.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks @Anwers.

My main concern is that she will not fully understand what she is being asked, unless she prepares for it beforehand.
Which airport? AFAIK, Vancouver has a different system than Toronto, for example. I also recall there are language selections, but no guarantee her language will be among the selections. Here's the process to the best of my recollection at the YYZ kiosks:

If she owns and knows how to use a mobile phone, you can also set up her answers with the eDeclaration app, which contains all the customs questions. If she has the app, scanning the QR code from the app is the first step. If not, it's the language selection, and then the passport scan, if I recall. At some point, her photo will also be taken. She should see her own face in the screen when that happens.

Entering her name and details will be done with a passport scan, and the system will attempt to find her flight itinerary. If not found, she'll have to enter the flight number.

Just before confirmation, she'll be asked to confirm her answers to the customs questions (if scanned from the QR code) again before the printout is generated.

jawadahmed6065

Star Member
Jul 7, 2010
How the visit visa being scanned at primary inspection kiosk? Do you need to scan one time and machine gets details from first page and visa page? Or two times which is scan first page then visa page?
Thnx