+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Previous Tourist Visa Application Profile VS Express Entry Application questions!

TayTay

Apr 24, 2023
Hello all, this is TayTay. I am new here, and nice to meet all the gurus and veterans ;).

I am looking to apply for the Canadian PR through Express Entry.
Previously, I have visited Canada, meaning I applied for a Visit (Tourist) visa for this. With regards to this Visit visa, I have at that time in 2022 filled in (unknown to me) an incorrect NOC for one of the job positions. (1)

On the other hand, while trying to educate myself and make a profile for the Express Entry Program, I have noticed that apart from the incorrect/wrong NOC code used in my Tourist visa, that I would also have to get previous Employments reference letters. (2)

Now, my questions are related to (1) and (2) above.
--> Would I be penalized for using the correct NOC code now in my Express Entry profile?
--> What solution or options do I have, if I can absolutely NOT request a reference letter from 1 of my previous employers (due to the situation around my exit from this company at the time)?

I look forward to all your insights on how to navigate.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello all, this is TayTay. I am new here, and nice to meet all the gurus and veterans ;).

I am looking to apply for the Canadian PR through Express Entry.
Previously, I have visited Canada, meaning I applied for a Visit (Tourist) visa for this. With regards to this Visit visa, I have at that time in 2022 filled in (unknown to me) an incorrect NOC for one of the job positions. (1)

On the other hand, while trying to educate myself and make a profile for the Express Entry Program, I have noticed that apart from the incorrect/wrong NOC code used in my Tourist visa, that I would also have to get previous Employments reference letters. (2)

Now, my questions are related to (1) and (2) above.
--> Would I be penalized for using the correct NOC code now in my Express Entry application?
--> What solution or options do I have, if I can absolutely NOT request a reference letter from 1 of my previous employers (due to the situation around my exit from this company at the time)?

I look forward to all your insights on how to navigate.
So you have submitted a profile and received an ITA to apply for PR? What is your eligibility score? CRS score?

1. No you would not be penalized.
2. Don’t count as experience.

TayTay

Apr 24, 2023
So you have submitted a profile and received an ITA to apply for PR? What is your eligibility score? CRS score?

1. No you would not be penalized.
2. Don’t count as experience.
Thanks for your response.
I just found that I used the word "application" for the drafted question to (1). I have now edited it to "profile".

With regards to your responses, please note that I have a record (on the CIC website) from my previous tourist visa application where I erroneously filled an incorrect NOC code (1) and also included the name of this company where I cannot absolutely request for a reference letter (2).

In essence, would the officers treating the Express Entry applications (or profiles in pool) refer to the other records (of previous applications e.g visa ) in their database?

Lastly, I do not quite get you about the "Don't count as experience".

Thanks again @Naturgrl

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Lastly, I do not quite get you about the "Don't count as experience".
Your question was about if you do NOT want to get reference letters from the employer. If you don't get a reference letter, then that work will not count as experience.

In essence, would the officers treating the Express Entry applications (or profiles in pool) refer to the other records (of previous applications e.g visa ) in their database?
Yes, they will know about your TRV application but I don't know if they will bother to nitpick those details. Most likely they won't. But as Naturgrl said, there is no penalty, there is nothing to worry about. The NOC is totally irrelevant to a TRV, so I don't know why you even stated it in the TRV application. Is this a new requirement for an online application?

Last edited: