+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant Canadian citizen living in USA - can I come to Canada to have my baby?

RRoddam

Feb 28, 2014
Hello!

I am married to an American and live in WA state.
Can you please let me know what steps I would have to go through to be able to give birth in Canada instead of the USA.

I do not want to give birth in the USA if I can have my baby in Canada, since I am a Canadian citizen.

Please help!

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
RRoddam said:
Hello!

I am married to an American and live in WA state.
Can you please let me know what steps I would have to go through to be able to give birth in Canada instead of the USA.

I do not want to give birth in the USA if I can have my baby in Canada, since I am a Canadian citizen.

Please help!
Congratulations RRoddam! you can surely give birth in Canada. Not sure about the coverage, since you live outside of Canada you might not have the health benefit (again, I am not hundred percent sure about that, unless you have an insurance that covers the birth in Canada).

Here, I quote from the CIC website:

"Children born to Canadian parents while the parent are outside Canada will only be Canadian at birth if:
- one parent was born in Canada, or
- one parent became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada and was later granted citizenship (also called naturalization).

There is an exception to this rule. It does not apply to children born outside Canada in the second or subsequent generation if, at the time of their birth, their Canadian parent is working outside Canada as an employee of the Canadian government or a Canadian province or territory, or serving outside Canada with the Canadian Forces".

I do not like the exception to the above rule, re the 'second or subsequent generation' that's why it would be best for you to give birth in Canada.

I am sorry, do not know what steps to go through, but it should be straight forward. I know two people, both Permanent Residents who lived somewhere else but came to Canada to give birth (one of them had an insurance though and always paid Canadian tax while living abroad). They both had no issue with the birth in Canada.

Sorry if I did not answer your question fully. Good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How long have you been outside of Canada? What province do you plan to return to in order to give birth?

You may have to return to Canada three months before the birth of the child in order for the birth of the child to be covered by the Canadian health care system.

desi_jatt

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Check the Province, where you want to deliver the child, for Health Insurance Coverage,Generally, you have to wait for 3 Months to get the coverage, but that also depends, how long you were outside of the last province where you had the health card.

RRoddam

Feb 28, 2014
Yolka - Thank you so much! We are very excited to welcome our baby to our life!!
This is helpful information to know that you have had friends do this in the past. I know it is possible at least.

Scylla/Desi_jatt - I have been out of the country for 4 years and plan to return to BC. I think you can qualify for health care in BC after 6 months?!

I really appreciate the prompt answers. I will continue to look at the costs and my US coverage to see what that will look like, I would love to make this happen!!

Thank you again.

RRoddam

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RRoddam said:
Yolka - Thank you so much! We are very excited to welcome our baby to our life!!
This is helpful information to know that you have had friends do this in the past. I know it is possible at least.

Scylla/Desi_jatt - I have been out of the country for 4 years and plan to return to BC. I think you can qualify for health care in BC after 6 months?!

I really appreciate the prompt answers. I will continue to look at the costs and my US coverage to see what that will look like, I would love to make this happen!!

Thank you again.

RRoddam
Yeah BC is awesome!!! nice weather, mountains and the see.
(slow in processing though haha). You should check women's hospital in Vancouver...a great hospital.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nguyentu2001 said:
Yeah BC is awesome!!! nice weather, mountains and the see.
(slow in processing though haha). You should check women's hospital in Vancouver...a great hospital.
why would you move to QC then? :eek:

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farrous13 said:
why would you move to QC then? :eek:
Oh it was just a joke for the intention to move to QC haha I never want to move from Vancouver haha sorry for the confusion.
Once you move to Vancouver and live here, its really hard to move somewhere else unless can't find a job. The nature and weather here are just amazing (to me).

desi_jatt

Star Member
Feb 2, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
RRoddam said:
Its 3 Months, including the month of move, so if you move on 30 of month, its only 2 months +1 day
This is from the Health Insurance BC Web site, check the site http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/eligible.html#who
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When does Coverage Begin?

New residents or persons re-establishing residence in B.C. are eligible for coverage after completing a wait period that normally consists of the balance of the month of arrival plus two months. For example, if an eligible person arrives during the month of July, coverage is available October 1. If absences from Canada exceed a total of 30 days during the wait period, eligibility for coverage may be affected.

You should apply for MSP coverage immediately after arriving in B.C., rather than at the end of the wait period, to allow time for your application to be processed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------