+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant after COPR

Bdl

Jun 10, 2019
Hi

We discovered we are 8 weeks pregnant after receiving our COPR and getting our passports stamped. The delivery date is much after our planned landing date ( we plan to land around sept mid and delivery date is next year Jan) . Is there any need to inform IRCC ? ..what is the implication on our PR?

selvayatra

Feb 5, 2019
Hi

We discovered we are 8 weeks pregnant after receiving our COPR and getting our passports stamped. The delivery date is much after our planned landing date ( we plan to land around sept mid and delivery date is next year Jan) . Is there any need to inform IRCC ? ..what is the implication on our PR?

My wife is also pregnant and I received the PPR on 26th May 2019. I informed them the status and got a response like below:

Dear xxxx xxxx,

This is in reference to your application for a permanent resident visa.

Thank you for updating our office on the expecting of your child. In this case, you are left with two options:

In this case, you are left with two options:

1) You may land prior to the birth of your child, and you will not need to add your child to your application as they would automatically gain citizenship at birth within Canada

2) If you cannot land safely, prior to the birth of your child, your application will have to be re-opened and the child will be added to your application. Any PR documents issued to you prior to landing would no longer be valid

Please note if you choose the first option, you must land prior to October xx 2019. Alternatively, if you choose the second option, please notify our office as soon as the child is born and we will provide further instructions.

We will be doing a short landing and return home this month to avoid the re-opening. All the best for your safe landing and safe delivery.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Although of course there will be option (3) where you will need to sponsor the child for PR with all the challenges and requirements that involves.

Bdl

Jun 10, 2019
My wife is also pregnant and I received the PPR on 26th May 2019. I informed them the status and got a response like below:

Dear xxxx xxxx,

This is in reference to your application for a permanent resident visa.

Thank you for updating our office on the expecting of your child. In this case, you are left with two options:

In this case, you are left with two options:

1) You may land prior to the birth of your child, and you will not need to add your child to your application as they would automatically gain citizenship at birth within Canada

2) If you cannot land safely, prior to the birth of your child, your application will have to be re-opened and the child will be added to your application. Any PR documents issued to you prior to landing would no longer be valid

Please note if you choose the first option, you must land prior to October xx 2019. Alternatively, if you choose the second option, please notify our office as soon as the child is born and we will provide further instructions.

We will be doing a short landing and return home this month to avoid the re-opening. All the best for your safe landing and safe delivery.
Thanks for sharing the reply mail. Why are you planning to return for the delivery? The baby will be a canadian citizen if delivered in Canada. And as per my understanding, if baby is delivered outside canada, even if u and your wife already have PR cards you will have to go through the long process of sponsoring the child to get the baby to come to Canada. Best option is to deliver in Canada

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depending on where you are moving you will not have health coverage for up to 3 months. You should make sure you purchase a health policy that includes pregnancy. There are some that cover up to the 2nd trimester.

selvayatra

Feb 5, 2019
Thanks for sharing the reply mail. Why are you planning to return for the delivery? The baby will be a canadian citizen if delivered in Canada. And as per my understanding, if baby is delivered outside canada, even if u and your wife already have PR cards you will have to go through the long process of sponsoring the child to get the baby to come to Canada. Best option is to deliver in Canada
Yes, Option 1 is the better one, but our due date is in first week of Sep 2019. There is only a short time left for us to move and settle well to accommodate a delivery. Moreover, this is our first baby and we know literally no one in Canada. So, after analyzing all the factors, we decided to deliver the baby safe first and bear the pain of waiting for baby's visa later.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Yes, Option 1 is the better one, but our due date is in first week of Sep 2019. There is only a short time left for us to move and settle well to accommodate a delivery. Moreover, this is our first baby and we know literally no one in Canada. So, after analyzing all the factors, we decided to deliver the baby safe first and bear the pain of waiting for baby's visa later.

Wise decision.

Reactions: selvayatra

selvayatra

Feb 5, 2019
Bad decision. But their call.

In my friend's case, she found a birth tourism oriented hotel, stayed there and had the baby delivered in the local hospital. She didn't know anyone in the City at that time.
Probably, but we got our COPR on 16 June 2019 and my wife cannot travel after 01 August 2019. Plus, I can't go off from my job for months to stay in Canada until our baby is born and get all the paperworks done. At the end, it all depends on individual's priorities and commitments. I appreciate your friend's decision.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Probably, but we got our COPR on 16 June 2019 and my wife cannot travel after 01 August 2019. Plus, I can't go off from my job for months to stay in Canada until our baby is born and get all the paperworks done. At the end, it all depends on individual's priorities and commitments. I appreciate your friend's decision.
My friend was alone in Canada giving birth, while the husband was in the home country. The husband visited them shortly after baby was born.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
My friend was alone in Canada giving birth, while the husband was in the home country. The husband visited them shortly after baby was born.
Totally depends upon the family. I believe the OP wants to be beside her wife during delivery, not away from her.

Yabb Fresko

Jun 19, 2019
Hi, im also in the same situation. Im pregnant and is due to deliver this July. My husband and i decided to have my delivery first prior to landing in canada. Our PR visa is valid until Jan 2020 and we already advise IRCC. My question is do you guys know how many days or months it will take to add a newborn on our PR visa? I hope it wont take 6 months though..thanks

selvayatra

Feb 5, 2019
Hi, im also in the same situation. Im pregnant and is due to deliver this July. My husband and i decided to have my delivery first prior to landing in canada. Our PR visa is valid until Jan 2020 and we already advise IRCC. My question is do you guys know how many days or months it will take to add a newborn on our PR visa? I hope it wont take 6 months though..thanks

As per the mail I received from IRCC, they informed me that in such case to ass the new born, then my file will have to be re-opened. I am not sure what does that mean and from which point they will re-open. Will that be from AOR or my EE application be sent to the pool again?

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
As per the mail I received from IRCC, they informed me that in such case to ass the new born, then my file will have to be re-opened. I am not sure what does that mean and from which point they will re-open. Will that be from AOR or my EE application be sent to the pool again?
By re-opening, they mean, from the AOR, a new dependent will be added to your PR, and new documents for the baby will have to be submitted like birth certificate, medicals, and etc.., New medicals will also be needed to be done for you and your wife, because your old medicals will expire on 26th October 2019, also, the minimum funds you need to immigrate will also be updated, since, you were 2 people, you required a minimum $15,772 to immigrate, but now you will be 3, you will require a minimum $19,390 to immigrate and updated proof of funds will also have to be submitted. This whole process could take some while, ~3-6/7 months. After that, your old COPR will de-validated and new COPR will be issued to your for all 3.

You can avoid all of this by giving birth to the baby in Cananda, through which, the baby will be granted Canadian Citizenship and passport and will not have to worry about Canadian PR or Visa. Your baby will automatically be eligible for OCI card, which will be granted to him in 3-6 weeks after applying for the same and can practically enjoy dual citizenship.

NOTE: $ = CAD $

Yabb Fresko

Jun 19, 2019
This is what it shows on the GC Website.

If a family member is added to an application during processing
During processing, a principal applicant can add a new family member as a dependant, such as a newborn child or, in the case of a parent or grandparent, a new partner. Or, they may request that a family member originally declared as non-accompanying be included as accompanying.

When a family member added to the application is a dependent child of the sponsor, it is not necessary to re-assess the sponsor’s ability to meet the minimum necessary income (MNI). Under R133(4), a sponsor is exempt from meeting MNI requirements for such family members. Applicable fees must be paid, and the new applicant must pass medical and background checks.

If an applicant has a child after they have been issued a permanent resident visa but before becoming a permanent resident, the processing office can:

• add the child to the sponsorship
  • collect the applicable processing fee for the child
  • issue instructions for the medical examination to the additional dependant

Also, we were approved under AIP and our medical will expire Jan 2020.

Reactions: dotslash227