+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pregnancy, when to move?Urgent, please help

Jelena81

May 31, 2017
Hi everybody, 2 weeks ago I got announcement that we are approved PR. We should send our passports to get visas and move to Canada soon (I dont know the precise date yet). However, due to my unexpected pregnancy and other reasons it is hard for us to move to Canada this or next year. We would be able to move permanently there only in 2020. What do you suggest me to do? Should we travel soon to Canada and stay only to activate our PR status and then come back home to deliver a child (but in that case I would have to apply my new child for sponsorship later)? Or should I wait to deliver the child first (at home) and then travel all together in Canada to activate our PR status? I have to decide what to do in few days, because the deadline for sending passports for visa is close. If anyone have experience whit this issue and precise information, please write me soon. Thanks!

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
1. You must send your passports when requested to complete the application process. Not sending them risks them considering your application abandoned. The passport request has nothing to do with when you will actually move to settle in Canada. The COPR will come with an expiration date, by which time you are obligated to land, or the application will be voided and you'll have to start all over.

2. If you are unable to move to Canada right away, then when you get your COPR after the passports are completed, then you can go to Canada, go through what is called a "soft landing" at the border (which basically means to cross the border in order to complete the landing process for your PR) and then immediately return home. Many people do this. You must remember, however, that in order to keep your PR, you must fulfill the residency requirement for time living in Canada by the end of the 5 years after your PR is issued. Make sure to take that into account when planning your eventual move.

3. If your sponsor is a Canadian citizen, then your child will be born a Canadian citizen. You will not need to apply for sponsorship, but you would need to apply for Citizenship documents and a passport for the child.

4. If your sponsor is a PR themselves, then you would have to apply to sponsor your child for PR. However, bear in mind that if you deliver the child before you land, then you must add that child to your application before you finalize your PR (including the paperwork and medical). If the child was born before you land and not declared to CIC, then the child would be forever excluded from being sponsored by you for PR. This is very serious.

Reactions: Jelena81

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Honestly, move to Canada once you get your CoPR. Last I heard, plenty of babies were being born successfully in Canada......

Jelena81

May 31, 2017
Honestly, move to Canada once you get your CoPR. Last I heard, plenty of babies were being born successfully in Canada......
1. You must send your passports when requested to complete the application process. Not sending them risks them considering your application abandoned. The passport request has nothing to do with when you will actually move to settle in Canada. The COPR will come with an expiration date, by which time you are obligated to land, or the application will be voided and you'll have to start all over.

2. If you are unable to move to Canada right away, then when you get your COPR after the passports are completed, then you can go to Canada, go through what is called a "soft landing" at the border (which basically means to cross the border in order to complete the landing process for your PR) and then immediately return home. Many people do this. You must remember, however, that in order to keep your PR, you must fulfill the residency requirement for time living in Canada by the end of the 5 years after your PR is issued. Make sure to take that into account when planning your eventual move.

3. If your sponsor is a Canadian citizen, then your child will be born a Canadian citizen. You will not need to apply for sponsorship, but you would need to apply for Citizenship documents and a passport for the child.

4. If your sponsor is a PR themselves, then you would have to apply to sponsor your child for PR. However, bear in mind that if you deliver the child before you land, then you must add that child to your application before you finalize your PR (including the paperwork and medical). If the child was born before you land and not declared to CIC, then the child would be forever excluded from being sponsored by you for PR. This is very serious.
Mrs December, thank you so much for your detailed answer. It is important to know that I have to send passports immediately (I will do it today). Then, probably I will wait to deliver child at home and then try to move permanently to Canada next year or at least to do "safe landing". I have one more question: how can I declare my expecting child to CIC? Should I write to CPC Otawa? I hope they will send me instructions what to do next...It is so frustrating not knowing how to get right information and contact them...

Jelena81

May 31, 2017
Of course, it would be the best option to deliver a child in Canada. However, me and my husband are not prepared to move right now. We already have a 3-years old kid, and it seems too stressful for us to move in this moment. We are also afraid that my husband will not be able to find a job quickly, and that I would wait for OHIP too long (I should deliver a child in January, but before that I should take several medical examinations). So, to make story short, it would be much easier for us to move next year or, even better in 2020, because we would like to avoid too much stress

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Keep in mind that the COPR does have an expiry date (usually 1 year after the medical). You will need to do the landing prior to the expiry date, or the entire PR process will need to be done again. A soft landing would probably be best, given your concerns. Also keep in mind one of you will need to be living in Canada to sponsor the baby if you land before it is born.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Of course, it would be the best option to deliver a child in Canada. However, me and my husband are not prepared to move right now. We already have a 3-years old kid, and it seems too stressful for us to move in this moment. We are also afraid that my husband will not be able to find a job quickly, and that I would wait for OHIP too long (I should deliver a child in January, but before that I should take several medical examinations). So, to make story short, it would be much easier for us to move next year or, even better in 2020, because we would like to avoid too much stress
You face a few possible issues.

First, once you get PR approved and your COPR back, you, your husband and your 3-yr old will all need to fly to Canada to activate your PR status. Depending when exactly you get COPRs, you could be in later stages of pregnancy and flying could be an issue. However as long as all 3 of you can come to Canada to land as PR, it's then fine to fly back to home country. Although will probably not have time to get your PR cards unless you have a friend/relative address in Canada you can use upon landing who can receive cards for you.

Second, if your new child is born in home country after you have landed as PRs you will need to sponsor them for PR. This will require either your or your husband to move to Canada and live here to submit the PR app and while it's processing. Assuming the child will not have a visa-exempt passport, they will require a TRV/TRP to come to Canada as a visitor if you all wanted to come to Canda together. If TRV/TRP is refused, then your family will be separated while child's PR app is processing (I think kids apps are around 6 months processing time).

And finally, if you weren't able to get your PR cards after landing, when ready to return to Canada you will all need to apply for PR Travel Documents to fly directly to Canada, or enter Canada via USA land border.

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
Mrs December, thank you so much for your detailed answer. It is important to know that I have to send passports immediately (I will do it today). Then, probably I will wait to deliver child at home and then try to move permanently to Canada next year or at least to do "safe landing". I have one more question: how can I declare my expecting child to CIC? Should I write to CPC Otawa? I hope they will send me instructions what to do next...It is so frustrating not knowing how to get right information and contact them...
There is a location on the application for spousal sponsorship which asks if the sponsor or PA is pregnant, and if so, what the due date is. If you were not pregnant at the time you submitted the application, then obviously you would have answered "no" on those questions. You said in another comment that you expect to deliver in January. If you have PPR right now, then you're going to need to land well before that point, as I'd imagine the expiry date for your COPR won't go that long. As long as you land BEFORE you deliver, then you don't need to declare your pregnancy, since the unborn child won't be subject to immigration law until after they are born. However, if for some reason your COPR expiry extends past your due date, and you deliver the child before landing, then you would need to contact the CIC, notify them of the birth of a child, and then add that child to your application. This would delay the completion of the application, but since you aren't planning on a final move for at least a year, then it should not impact your plans substantially. However, it's critical that you know that it would be absolutely necessary that these steps must be followed--if you land before the baby is born, you're fine with no additional steps required. If the baby is born before landing, then you must add them to your application. Otherwise, as I said before, you'd be unable ever to sponsor the child for residence, which would be devastating. Good luck on your PR and your new baby. :)

Jelena81

May 31, 2017
There is a location on the application for spousal sponsorship which asks if the sponsor or PA is pregnant, and if so, what the due date is. If you were not pregnant at the time you submitted the application, then obviously you would have answered "no" on those questions. You said in another comment that you expect to deliver in January. If you have PPR right now, then you're going to need to land well before that point, as I'd imagine the expiry date for your COPR won't go that long. As long as you land BEFORE you deliver, then you don't need to declare your pregnancy, since the unborn child won't be subject to immigration law until after they are born. However, if for some reason your COPR expiry extends past your due date, and you deliver the child before landing, then you would need to contact the CIC, notify them of the birth of a child, and then add that child to your application. This would delay the completion of the application, but since you aren't planning on a final move for at least a year, then it should not impact your plans substantially. However, it's critical that you know that it would be absolutely necessary that these steps must be followed--if you land before the baby is born, you're fine with no additional steps required. If the baby is born before landing, then you must add them to your application. Otherwise, as I said before, you'd be unable ever to sponsor the child for residence, which would be devastating. Good luck on your PR and your new baby. :)

Mrs December, thank you very much. You understood my circumstances pretty clear. Also, I am clear what I have to do (deadlines, etc.). The best solution would be if we would be allowed to extend (do again) our medicals, and hence to extend the deadline of entering Canada (then, we could go to Canada after our child is born, either on soft landing or permanently). I informed IRCC (CPC Otawa) about that, but I am afraid that I will get no answer. In a meantime, we must send our passports to get visas (until the 5th July). If nobody takes into consideration my question for doing medicals again, then we would probably get very short deadline for entering Canada.

Jelena81

May 31, 2017
You face a few possible issues.

First, once you get PR approved and your COPR back, you, your husband and your 3-yr old will all need to fly to Canada to activate your PR status. Depending when exactly you get COPRs, you could be in later stages of pregnancy and flying could be an issue. However as long as all 3 of you can come to Canada to land as PR, it's then fine to fly back to home country. Although will probably not have time to get your PR cards unless you have a friend/relative address in Canada you can use upon landing who can receive cards for you.

Second, if your new child is born in home country after you have landed as PRs you will need to sponsor them for PR. This will require either your or your husband to move to Canada and live here to submit the PR app and while it's processing. Assuming the child will not have a visa-exempt passport, they will require a TRV/TRP to come to Canada as a visitor if you all wanted to come to Canda together. If TRV/TRP is refused, then your family will be separated while child's PR app is processing (I think kids apps are around 6 months processing time).

And finally, if you weren't able to get your PR cards after landing, when ready to return to Canada you will all need to apply for PR Travel Documents to fly directly to Canada, or enter Canada via USA land border.

Dear Rob_TO, thank you for your advice. I hope that they will let us do our medicals again and hence extend our deadline for entering Canada. I understand well that we must enter Canada before the deadline they give us. However, if they give us deadline this September (when our meds expire), it would be impossible for us to move so quickly, it is insane even if I am not pregnant! In that case, we must do soft landing and later figure out how we can sponsor our new child. But we can avoid all those complications if they let us to do again our medical tests...What a mess...

Jelena81

May 31, 2017
Keep in mind that the COPR does have an expiry date (usually 1 year after the medical). You will need to do the landing prior to the expiry date, or the entire PR process will need to be done again. A soft landing would probably be best, given your concerns. Also keep in mind one of you will need to be living in Canada to sponsor the baby if you land before it is born.
Yes, I am aware of this, thank you very much.
I also thought about possibility to deliver a child in Canada. However, late pregnancy and a new-born baby are extremely stressful, and imagine that my husband would have to work all day and that we would have dump of apartment with incomplete furniture, and no one to help us with babysitting our 3-years old son...On the other side, in our hometown, we have all necessary conditions for a new baby and also a bunch of friends and cousins who will help us when we are in need. So, in order to avoid stress, we just need a little bit more time to enter Canada...I hope that someone from CPC Otawa are reading emails...

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
Mrs December, thank you very much. You understood my circumstances pretty clear. Also, I am clear what I have to do (deadlines, etc.). The best solution would be if we would be allowed to extend (do again) our medicals, and hence to extend the deadline of entering Canada (then, we could go to Canada after our child is born, either on soft landing or permanently). I informed IRCC (CPC Otawa) about that, but I am afraid that I will get no answer. In a meantime, we must send our passports to get visas (until the 5th July). If nobody takes into consideration my question for doing medicals again, then we would probably get very short deadline for entering Canada.
I certainly understand the stresses and time pressure. However, I can tell you that CIC isn't going to extend or give a "do again" on your medicals. When you get your COPR, it's going to have the expiry and that date isn't negotiable. You'll have to land prior to that date. However, you aren't obligated to move at that point, just to travel to the border to complete your landing paperwork, and then back home you go. Just make sure to schedule a move in the coming year(s) that will allow you to meet your residency obligation. :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Dear Rob_TO, thank you for your advice. I hope that they will let us do our medicals again and hence extend our deadline for entering Canada. I understand well that we must enter Canada before the deadline they give us. However, if they give us deadline this September (when our meds expire), it would be impossible for us to move so quickly, it is insane even if I am not pregnant! In that case, we must do soft landing and later figure out how we can sponsor our new child. But we can avoid all those complications if they let us to do again our medical tests...What a mess...
If you have a medical condition (like late stage pregnancy) that would prevent you from flying to do PR landing before COPR expiry date, the visa office may allow you to delay the COPR/landing. It's entirely up to them. You should stress though the reason is medical related, and not simply due to inconvenience.

If they allow this they can either choose to simply extend your medicals, or make you take brand new medicals. If COPR can be delayed until new baby is born, the baby will then be added to PR app as a dependent and would also do a simplified medical exam. You probably wouldn't want to do any new medical yourself until after baby is born anyways due to x-ray.