+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy related query

Patrickruby

May 22, 2018
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions regarding pregnancy during immigration. In case a depend gets pregnant during the process after medical. Receives COPR and gets the visa stamped.

Firstly, Can she land in Canada after declaring her pregnancy to the CIC (did it already, did not get any response). From what I found online it's allowed. Just want to reconfirm with someone who has gone through the process.

Secondly, after landing and immigration (in the 5th month of pregnancy) how much will it cost for the doctor visits till one gets medical coverage (which is 3 months after landing in BC).

Thanks in advance

Patrickruby

May 22, 2018
Thanks

The following was required along with the passport request:

``3) Change in Circumstances

Should any of the following circumstances apply to you (or any person included in your application), you must inform this office immediately:

· Change in marital status, for example due to marriage, divorce, annulment or death;
· Death of applicant, dependant of sponsor/assisting relative;
· Birth of a child and/or pregnancy (please provide expected date of confinement);
· Change in health;
· The laying of criminal charges or conviction for a criminal offence;
· A change in availability of funds for use in Canada;
· Change of address or phone number``

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks

The following was required along with the passport request:

``3) Change in Circumstances

Should any of the following circumstances apply to you (or any person included in your application), you must inform this office immediately:

· Change in marital status, for example due to marriage, divorce, annulment or death;
· Death of applicant, dependant of sponsor/assisting relative;
· Birth of a child and/or pregnancy (please provide expected date of confinement);
· Change in health;
· The laying of criminal charges or conviction for a criminal offence;
· A change in availability of funds for use in Canada;
· Change of address or phone number``
Interesting. Mine did not mention anything related to pregnancy. Anyways, as long as you land before delivery you are OK.

"If any of the following conditions apply, you must inform us immediately via email CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca.

· Marriage or common-law union, divorce, annulment, legal separation;

· Death of the sponsor, the principal applicant or any accompanying family member;

· Birth or adoption of a child, including grandchildren born to dependent children;

· You, the principal applicant, or any of your family members have been charged or convicted of a criminal offence."

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is depedent on the doctor and what tests are needed. Up to the doctor to set their rate because it is not a normal request. There must be some sort of guidelines. It doesn't seem outrageously expensive as long a you don't end up in the hospital. Just making sure that your wife has already done her medical? That is normally the issue due to the x-ray component.

Reactions: Patrickruby

Patrickruby

May 22, 2018
It is depedent on the doctor and what tests are needed. Up to the doctor to set their rate because it is not a normal request. There must be some sort of guidelines. It doesn't seem outrageously expensive as long a you don't end up in the hospital. Just making sure that your wife has already done her medical? That is normally the issue due to the x-ray component.
Yes she got it done before pregnancy.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Landing during pregnancy is fine. They usually ask this question to know how far pregnant you are. If the applicant is in later stages of pregnancy it will make sense for both you and CIC to hold the process till your baby arrives, so that they could issue COPR for the baby as well.

As you already know, you will have to bear the costs associated to pregnancy for the first 3 months. Costs can vary a bit province to province, but unless there are complications, you will only be asked to visit doctors once a month till 6th month of pregnancy. Then it becomes every 3 weeks, and eventually every 2 week in 8th month. In 9th month, you will visit doctor every week but by then you should already have the provincial medical coverage.

So I reckon you are going to pay for 3-4 doctor's visit out of pocket. May be 1-2 ultrasounds(NT and anatomy ultrasounds if not already done), and some blood work done in addition to that. Although it would not be precise, but I would ballpark your out of pocket expense to be in range of a 1000-1500 Dollars.
I think the real challenge will be to find a family doctor asap after your arrival and arrange a referral to Ob-Gyn.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just a foot note. If you call doctors and mention that you are pregnant then they will try to adjust you and will be given preference over non-pregnant/non-critical women.
Not sure if you will get preference but they may try to point you in the right direction. If the practice is full they still won't accept you. You will likely have to call around to find a family doctor and an ob practice who is taking patients. Last resort you can go to a walk-in clinic to get a referal for an ob. There is also the option of going with a GP who also does OB. I agree that you will likely end up paying $1000-1500 as long as you don't end up in the hospital. If you can, bring your previous medical records for your pregancy. They may want to repeat various tests because you haven't had them done in Canada.

Last edited:

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Thanks a ton guys
Just a pointer. Don't be too picky about choosing the best family doctor at this point. Just find out whoever is accepting new patients in your neighbourhood. Right now you need a family doctor just to get a referral to Ob-Gyn. You can always change your family doctor later. I could be wrong, but I don't think walk-in clinics can refer you to ob-gyn. This is what my family doctor told me.

Not sure about the specifics of BC, but here in Ontario, all Ob-Gyns are associated to the local hospital of your area.
Family doctor sends a referral request to the hospital and then the hospital arranges and schedules your visit to an Ob-Gyn.
Here in Ontario you don't get assigned a specific ob-gyn. The hospital basically maintains your file, and on each visit you get to see a new doctor.
I think the idea is to familiarize you with all doctors who are associated to the hospital since any of them might be on duty when the time comes.

My wife and I are expecting a baby very soon and this has been our experience so far with OHIP. It has been pretty well organized and hassle free so far. I am certain BC will be no different.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Just a pointer. Don't be too picky about choosing the best family doctor at this point. Just find out whoever is accepting new patients in your neighbourhood. Right now you need a family doctor just to get a referral to Ob-Gyn. You can always change your family doctor later. I could be wrong, but I don't think walk-in clinics can refer you to ob-gyn. This is what my family doctor told me.

Not sure about the specifics of BC, but here in Ontario, all Ob-Gyns are associated to the local hospital of your area.
Family doctor sends a referral request to the hospital and then the hospital arranges and schedules your visit to an Ob-Gyn.
Here in Ontario you don't get assigned a specific ob-gyn. The hospital basically maintains your file, and on each visit you get to see a new doctor.
I think the idea is to familiarize you with all doctors who are associated to the hospital since any of them might be on duty when the time comes.

My wife and I are expecting a baby very soon and this has been our experience so far with OHIP. It has been pretty well organized and hassle free so far. I am certain BC will be no different.
Getting a family doctor in Metro Vancouver is not easy.

If you have friends in the specific city that you planned to stay, find out if their family doctor will accept new patients.