+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy related query

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just a pointer. Don't be too picky about choosing the best family doctor at this point. Just find out whoever is accepting new patients in your neighbourhood. Right now you need a family doctor just to get a referral to Ob-Gyn. You can always change your family doctor later. I could be wrong, but I don't think walk-in clinics can refer you to ob-gyn. This is what my family doctor told me.

Not sure about the specifics of BC, but here in Ontario, all Ob-Gyns are associated to the local hospital of your area.
Family doctor sends a referral request to the hospital and then the hospital arranges and schedules your visit to an Ob-Gyn.
Here in Ontario you don't get assigned a specific ob-gyn. The hospital basically maintains your file, and on each visit you get to see a new doctor.
I think the idea is to familiarize you with all doctors who are associated to the hospital since any of them might be on duty when the time comes.

My wife and I are expecting a baby very soon and this has been our experience so far with OHIP. It has been pretty well organized and hassle free so far. I am certain BC will be no different.
No other patients see a specific doctor but can be delivered by whatever MD is on call in the practice. An OB can't be on call 24/7. All depends on how your local OB practice works and how large the practice is. Each OB has privileges at a specific hospital so you can't choose what hospital you want to deliver at. Given that a large number of people don't have a family doctor, walk-in clinics must be able to refer to an OB. Definitely not their preference but if there are no other options...

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Interesting. Mine did not mention anything related to pregnancy. Anyways, as long as you land before delivery you are OK.

"If any of the following conditions apply, you must inform us immediately via email CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca.

· Marriage or common-law union, divorce, annulment, legal separation;

· Death of the sponsor, the principal applicant or any accompanying family member;

· Birth or adoption of a child, including grandchildren born to dependent children;

· You, the principal applicant, or any of your family members have been charged or convicted of a criminal offence."
I have observed this before.

You can also notice that they don't have change in health conditions clause in the PPR email. I'm guessing it is mainly because HIPAA privacy protection laws of US/NA which prohibit probing about health of an individual by someone who is not authorized to do so.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

Patrickruby

May 22, 2018
Hi guys, just got a reply from immigration, in my case I don't have to inform the department as the pricpro is complete. In case I reapply I will be required to update my application accordingly. Thanks for your help again

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

Vjktk

May 18, 2015
Landing during pregnancy is fine. They usually ask this question to know how far pregnant you are. If the applicant is in later stages of pregnancy it will make sense for both you and CIC to hold the process till your baby arrives, so that they could issue COPR for the baby as well.

As you already know, you will have to bear the costs associated to pregnancy for the first 3 months. Costs can vary a bit province to province, but unless there are complications, you will only be asked to visit doctors once a month till 6th month of pregnancy. Then it becomes every 3 weeks, and eventually every 2 week in 8th month. In 9th month, you will visit doctor every week but by then you should already have the provincial medical coverage.

So I reckon you are going to pay for 3-4 doctor's visit out of pocket. May be 1-2 ultrasounds(NT and anatomy ultrasounds if not already done), and some blood work done in addition to that. Although it would not be precise, but I would ballpark your out of pocket expense to be in range of a 1000-1500 Dollars.
I think the real challenge will be to find a family doctor asap after your arrival and arrange a referral to Ob-Gyn.
Hi ,
I am moving to Montreal around Dec20 - Jan 6.
I am on worker visa sponsored by my company (TCS) . My wife is 23 weeks pregnant and due date is Mar 20. I have a son 6 yrs old with study visa.
Need suggestions will it manage to take care of her pregnancy checks and delivery without issues? I heard we can get the RAMQ card after 8weeks max and will be difficult to find ob-gyn . I will be getting My company insurance cars once I land there. If this is going to be difficult I will allow my wife to deliver the baby in India and take then after baby is born. Please advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi ,
I am moving to Montreal around Dec20 - Jan 6.
I am on worker visa sponsored by my company (TCS) . My wife is 23 weeks pregnant and due date is Mar 20. I have a son 6 yrs old with study visa.
Need suggestions will it manage to take care of her pregnancy checks and delivery without issues? I heard we can get the RAMQ card after 8weeks max and will be difficult to find ob-gyn . I will be getting My company insurance cars once I land there. If this is going to be difficult I will allow my wife to deliver the baby in India and take then after baby is born. Please advise.
Duplicate