+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy health coverage while waiting for PR

Amatts

Dec 15, 2021
Hello,

I applied for Outland spouse sponsorship in September 2021 and plan to move from the US to Ontario with my husband in May 2022. I don't expect to have my PR at that time, so I plan to enter on a visitor visa. We want to start a family ASAP, and so I'm seeking advice on health coverage. Note, that I am NOT currently pregnant.

I understand that if I don't have my PR before moving, I'm eligible for OHIP once I've lived in Ontario for 153 days. If I do have my PR, there's a 3 month waiting period for OHIP (which is currently waived during the pandemic).

Does anyone know of any private health plans that would cover routine pre-natal care in Ontario while I wait for OHIP coverage?

Thank you in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I applied for Outland spouse sponsorship in September 2021 and plan to move from the US to Ontario with my husband in May 2022. I don't expect to have my PR at that time, so I plan to enter on a visitor visa. We want to start a family ASAP, and so I'm seeking advice on health coverage. Note, that I am NOT currently pregnant.

I understand that if I don't have my PR before moving, I'm eligible for OHIP once I've lived in Ontario for 153 days. If I do have my PR, there's a 3 month waiting period for OHIP (which is currently waived during the pandemic).

Does anyone know of any private health plans that would cover routine pre-natal care in Ontario while I wait for OHIP coverage?

Thank you in advance!
You won't be eligible for OHIP untl after you have become a PR. You will not qualify for OHIP while living in Canada as a visitor, even after you have lived in Canada for 153 days. So you must plan on how you will cover your medical expenses (private insurance and/or out of pocket) until such a time as you have landed and become a PR.

Yes, there are private health care plans that cover some of the costs related to pregnancy and childbirth. You need to purchase these plans before you get pregnant. This is very imortant. Once you are pregnant, it will be too late to buy this coverage. So it is good news that you aren't yet pregnant.

My advice would be to have your Canadian spouse find an insurance advisor in Canada who can help you compare various policies and plans (including the fine print, deductibles, coverage, etc.) to determine the best policy for you.

Amatts

Dec 15, 2021
You won't be eligible for OHIP untl after you have become a PR. You will not qualify for OHIP while living in Canada as a visitor, even after you have lived in Canada for 153 days. So you must plan on how you will cover your medical expenses (private insurance and/or out of pocket) until such a time as you have landed and become a PR.

Yes, there are private health care plans that cover some of the costs related to pregnancy and childbirth. You need to purchase these plans before you get pregnant. This is very imortant. Once you are pregnant, it will be too late to buy this coverage. So it is good news that you aren't yet pregnant.

My advice would be to have your Canadian spouse find an insurance advisor in Canada who can help you compare various policies and plans (including the fine print, deductibles, coverage, etc.) to determine the best policy for you.
My understanding from this website is that I would qualify for OHIP while my PR is in process:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2

• are applying for permanent residence in Canada and:
    • have submitted an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and;
    • IRCC has confirmed they have reviewed the application and that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply (see document requirements);and
    • you have not yet been denied

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My understanding from this website is that I would qualify for OHIP while my PR is in process:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2

• are applying for permanent residence in Canada and:
    • have submitted an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and;
    • IRCC has confirmed they have reviewed the application and that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply (see document requirements);and
    • you have not yet been denied
This only applies to within Canada / inland applications where the individual applying receives AIP. It does not apply to outland applications. So you won't fall under this as an outland applicant.

Reactions: YVR123