+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pre existing medical condition

denvergirl

Jul 20, 2007
Hello,

I have a question about the medical exam. I am a type I diabetic. My illness has always been in good control and I suffer from no side effects due to my diabetes. I was diagnosed as a child and have no other ailments, although the diabetes does put me at high risk for side effects. Other than the diabetes I am in excellent health.

Will the type I diabetes cause me to fail the medical exam? Has anyone out there experienced a similiar situation (type I diabetes related)?

Thank you in advance for any info you might be able to offer!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Hi denvergirl,

Here's the thing. Your diabetes would probably disqualify you as a primary applicant, but wouldn't as the spouse of an applicant or if you were sponsored by a permanent resident or citizen of Canada as a family member (if you got married, for instance).

The reason for this is they try to determine whether you will put "excessive demand" on public health services and therein deprive other Canadians of equal access to treatment. But the excessive demand requirement is waived if you aren't the primary applicant, or if you're sponsored as a family member.

Here's a link:

http://www.canadavisa.com/immigration-medical-inadmissibility.html