+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pre Christmas ETA delay!!

Leodensian

Oct 20, 2016
Hi all....

I've done some scouring over the Internet and can't seem to find any guidance or accounts from experience of Brits applying for ETAs so thought I'd ask here.

In October I applied for the new ETA thinking I'd be granted one within minutes as they state everywhere. I've been to Canada twice this year already with the GF (Canadian national). Unfortunately I was arrested in 2007 as a 20 year old for assault and fined £90 and had to declare this. I needed to provide police certificates from uk and Spain which took a month to obtain and cost a fair whack too.
In early November I was advised there was a delay with processing my application.

It's now December and we're in limbo and can't make plans for Christmas!

Has anyone experienced something similar? Anyone else waiting nervously for permission to spend Xmas in Canada? Any ideas how long this could take?

Thanks all

Nicer77

Dec 11, 2016
Hi yes I have same problem. I had no idea what kind of questions would be asked as it's not very clear on site My tour company only told me I should apply at least 72 hours in advance. I applied on 3rd Dec. And spent a small fortune getting a police certificate (juvenile frim 1991). I have sent 3 tech reports as my application does not link- no response.
I have sent references and public body registration to evidence my good character.
I ended up sending the documents via the web form ass they did nothing about issue with linking application.
They have responded to say they have received my docs but will not tell me how long it will take. They only say they are 'currently experiencing delays'
My flight is booked and paid for I'm transiting through Canada on 22nd Dec.
I'm so worried.
The website should say ' if you have medical condition or past convictions allow xxxx months for your application to be processed) at the moment it only says 72 hours. I have asked if the 72 hours starts again from the point of receiving my papers..... :eek: :eek: :'( :'(
Any advise or words of calm very welcomed

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately there's not much you can do but wait. If you have a criminal charge in the past it's quite possible for processing to take several weeks.

IamJems

Star Member
Jul 27, 2016
How long have you been waiting since you submitted your documents? You say you submitted them in november.. do you have a date? And have you been approved yet? I uploaded my police certificate on the 7th december and im still waiting so looking for estimated times. Already missed my flight out and wondering whether im going to be approved before christmas :(

Nicer77

Dec 11, 2016
yep I'm in same situation. If enough people are in situation they will have to waiver so long as we travel with our certificate

IamJems

Star Member
Jul 27, 2016
They wont even let you board a flight to Canada if you dont have an approved ETA. They have an electronic system with the information of who has one on it.
Ive pretty much given up hope that ill get to spend Christmas with my boyfriend and his family. I love Canada and its people but this system was supposed to make things simpler not harder!

They should have an online questionnaire about the arrests and convictions on your record included with the ETA application so an automated system can issue ETAs like it does already if your convictions are spent. They have criteria a person at the CiC will compare your application too, i dont understand why its so hard to make a computer system that would do that for them and speed up the process for us.

Mine were 11 years ago as a juvenile. I didnt even get a caution. Im really upset about this, especially because they wont give us any information :'(

Leodensian

Oct 20, 2016
Hi all,

Update - I HAVE BEEN GRANTED A ETA

On the 16th of December (circa one month after sending my police certificates) I was deemed inadmissable for battery 9 years ago. I was given the option of applying for rehabilitation costing $200 however I checked processing times and the website stated the process could take one year!!!!!

Anyway, I got my rehab application in the post within a couple of days and prayed - today, on the 21st of December I have received an email granting an ETA!

Time to book pre xmas flights!!!

Good luck to everyone else applying.