+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRCard Renewal 2023

jcanilanza

Star Member
Mar 20, 2013
Davao City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi There, I applied for a PR card through online (urgency requested), I haven't heard back from them yet but I am able to link my application. I want to apply by paper, to make sure? is that ideal? or does it make the whole thing worst?

abab2022

Aug 18, 2022
PR Renew 2023

Applied Online: 5th Dec 2023

Linked with GcKey: 8th Dec 2023 (Tip: While Linking match the details with COPR, specially Uppercase for 'Family Name' and 'Place of Birth')

Application Update: We mailed your permanent resident card to you. Your card can take up to six weeks to arrive.

Awaiting PR card in MailBox.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Application Update: We mailed your permanent resident card to you. Your card can take up to six weeks to arrive.

Thanks for this info - confirms what I've been saying for a while, that their use of past tense in the 'we mailed your card to you' is clearly not the same as everyone else's.

Because I can guarantee that there's very, very low chance that the card has even been printed yet, let alone taken to the mail room/put in envelope/handed over to Canada Post. I have a pretty high level of confidence that this has progressed not much further, or no further than, the approval where someone presses the final approval button in the system. If they still do physical sign-offs, or docs that need routing, it's nowhere near the mailroom.

I'm not saying the rest takes six weeks - it could be quite quick, depending how automated they are - but the reason they say 'six weeks' has less to do with how fast Canada Post delivers mail than how quickly they get it to the post office.

On the positive side, it seems they do - in some cases anyway - have a fast-track approval process for PR apps online that tick all the boxes (whatever those boxes might be).

Reactions: abab2022

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
PR Renew 2023

Applied Online: 5th Dec 2023

Linked with GcKey: 8th Dec 2023 (Tip: While Linking match the details with COPR, specially Uppercase for 'Family Name' and 'Place of Birth')

Thanks for this info - confirms what I've been saying for a while, that their use of past tense in the 'we mailed your card to you' is clearly not the same as everyone else's.

Because I can guarantee that there's very, very low chance that the card has even been printed yet, let alone taken to the mail room/put in envelope/handed over to Canada Post. I have a pretty high level of confidence that this has progressed not much further, or no further than, the approval where someone presses the final approval button in the system. If they still do physical sign-offs, or docs that need routing, it's nowhere near the mailroom.
Noting, for emphasis, "someone presses the final approval button in the system." Probably not.

I am not sure. But given the timeline it looks like a machine approved this PR card application. It would be good if someone younger and more ambitious than me (I really am an OLD man, a tired old man) would make the ATI request(s) that would provide more information about this . . .

In particular, this response to the online application suggests that IRCC has in fact implemented AI processing, including automated decision-making, of online PR card applications, guessing that the system is applying an automated decision-making process structured similar to that used in pilot projects going as far back as April 2018 (beginning with pilot projects for automated processing of visitor visa applications from China and India).

Again, the pilot projects date back to early 2018. No special powers of prophesy required to forecast extensive expansion and broader implementation of the technology. The introduction of online applications, that is electronic applications, is almost certainly a central element in migrating toward more automated processing of those types of applications.

Assuming there is a similar process (employing components of AI including advanced analytics, predictive analytics, machine learning technology, to conduct automated decision-making), when an application meets certain criteria, as assessed by machine, the application is approved for eligibility without officer review.

In the pilot projects applications were not denied or refused automatically. The automated processing included, first, automated screening separating electronic applications into eligible/not-eligible for automated processing, and then those in the eligible group were subject to a kind of automated triage, dividing applications into three levels of complexity (high, medium, low), and then only the lowest level of complexity continued through the automated process, approved without officer review.

Some Speculation:

Only the more or less solidly eligible, clearly qualified PRs, those making an online PR card application with NO complicating factors (thus, probably, no supplemental information), are likely to benefit from this automated processing.

Hard to say what will not pass the preliminary screening, that is eligible or not for the automated processing, but even passing that level of screening will not facilitate the accelerated approval that @abab2022 reports experiencing if there is anything about the PR or the application which involves "Medium" complexity; while the pilot project triage characterized the pass-through to automated approval group as "Low Complexity," my guess is that in practice this means virtually NO complexity. There is probably NO advantage at all to making an online application unless it is likely to qualify for low complexity in the automated triage.

My apprehension, what I fear, is that this will further aggravate slow-processing for the large number of PRs whose situations do not support an automatic approval. Sure, it will reduce total labour, the number of person-hours required to process PR card applications. But this is a bureaucracy, and we know how these things go in a bureaucracy, and how it tends to go in the allocation of human resources.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Noting, for emphasis, "someone presses the final approval button in the system." Probably not.
Not going to disagree on that point, as anyway orthogonal to my point - that when they say "it's in the mail," it does not actually mean that - not a chance. Means, roughly, on-its-way, approved, no matter by whom, but definitely not already in the post.

fmohammed1022

Feb 11, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
Other
I applied for PR card Renewal online on 27th Nov and haven't heard anything yet. No email confirmation, no AOR and no status update on the portal. The status shows "Submitted". I also tried linking my application to my GCKey but it couln't find any applications with the information I provided. So it seems like it hasn't even been picked up for processing yet. I've been watching this thread to get an idea on the timeline and seems like some folks have been waiting for longer. My PR card expires on 19-Dec-2023 and not sure how long this thing might take. Will definitely share an update as soon as I hear something. Also, can you please share the number where I can speak with IRCC personnel to get an update on my app?

Last edited:

asamad88

Star Member
Sep 14, 2022
I applied for PR card Renewal on 27th Nov and haven't heard anything yet. No email confirmation, no AOR and no status update on the portal. The status shows "Submitted". I also tried linking my application to my GCKey but it couln't find any applications with the information I provided. So it seems like it hasn't even been picked up for processing yet. I've been watching this thread to get an idea on the timeline and seems like some folks have been waiting for longer. My PR card expires on 19-Dec-2023 and not sure how long this thing might take. Will definitely share an update as soon as I hear something. Also, can you please share the number where I can speak with IRCC personnel to get an update on my app?
Renewal application sent by mail: 7th November 2023
AOR received: 12th December 2023

Reactions: fmohammed1022