+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRC URGENCY RENEWAL

ZAVA

Aug 29, 2018
Hello, my name is Maria, I am from Venezuela. I am a PR of Canada, and I have been around 6 months in the past 5 years. The only reason of this is because I have been studying medical school in Venezuela, and right now I am in the 6th and last year, I only have 1 subject to finish MD school.

I was supposed to finish this year in July, but due to the situation in Venezuela (protests, riots, power outages) I have lost more than 1 year and my education has been delayed. All my plans and dreams became literally impossible.
My problem right now is that my PR card will expire on October of this year (2018) and I still have not finished my last subject. I had to come back to Canada and talked to immigration officers to ask for a renewal and they told me that my possible option was to apply for a Humanitarian and Compassionate renewal but I want to make sure I wont lose my residency status, because my plan is to finish Medical School (graduate as a general practitioner) and then come back to Canada to continue my education (postgraduate degree).

My whole family is living here in Canada. I am the only one in Venezuela..

I would really appreciate a sincere and reasonable response.

Thank you,

Maria.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, my name is Maria, I am from Venezuela. I am a PR of Canada, and I have been around 6 months in the past 5 years. The only reason of this is because I have been studying medical school in Venezuela, and right now I am in the 6th and last year, I only have 1 subject to finish MD school.

I was supposed to finish this year in July, but due to the situation in Venezuela (protests, riots, power outages) I have lost more than 1 year and my education has been delayed. All my plans and dreams became literally impossible.
My problem right now is that my PR card will expire on October of this year (2018) and I still have not finished my last subject. I had to come back to Canada and talked to immigration officers to ask for a renewal and they told me that my possible option was to apply for a Humanitarian and Compassionate renewal but I want to make sure I wont lose my residency status, because my plan is to finish Medical School (graduate as a general practitioner) and then come back to Canada to continue my education (postgraduate degree).

My whole family is living here in Canada. I am the only one in Venezuela..

I would really appreciate a sincere and reasonable response.

Thank you,

Maria.
How old are you? Attending school outside of Canada is not accepted as an H&C reason for failing to meet the residency obligation. If you are under 21 years old or under, you may be able to save your PR status. Otherwise it may be too late.

Reactions: jddd

ZAVA

Aug 29, 2018
How old are you? Attending school outside of Canada is not accepted as an H&C reason for failing to meet the residency obligation. If you are under 21 years old or under, you may be able to save your PR status. Otherwise it may be too late.
I'm 25, it really got out of my hands :(

ZAVA

Aug 29, 2018
Do I have any options?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm 25, it really got out of my hands :(
Unfortunately that doesn't put you in a good situation.

You will have to apply for a PRTD to return to Canada once your education is completed (at which point your PR card will have expired). When you apply for the PRTD, you should apply under H&C and request that it be approved even though you don't meet RO. Based on your age and the reasons why you were outside of Canada - the chances of approval are very very low.

ZAVA

Aug 29, 2018
Unfortunately that doesn't put you in a good situation.

You will have to apply for a PRTD to return to Canada once your education is completed (at which point your PR card will have expired). When you apply for the PRTD, you should apply under H&C and request that it be approved even though you don't meet RO. Based on your age and the reasons why you were outside of Canada - the chances of approval are very very low.
Thank you, I am in Canada right now, If I stay, when can I apply for a renewal? or should I wait 3 years to apply for citizenship?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
If you are already in Canada and weren't flagged by CBSA when you entered. Stay for two years before trying to renew your card.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you, I am in Canada right now, If I stay, when can I apply for a renewal? or should I wait 3 years to apply for citizenship?
That's good news. If you stay in Canada until you meet the residency requirement (i.e. remain in Canada another 1.5 years), then you can apply to renew your PR card.

ZAVA

Aug 29, 2018
That's good news. If you stay in Canada until you meet the residency requirement (i.e. remain in Canada another 1.5 years), then you can apply to renew your PR card.
Can I apply even if those 1.5 years are not into the past 5 years?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can I apply even if those 1.5 years are not into the past 5 years?
When you apply to renew your PR card, in the five years immediately before you apply, you must have spent at least 2 years in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given that it is incredibly hard to get a residency spot as an IMG I would not risk my PR. You were incredibly lucky that you didn't get reported when you entered Canada recently. Many Venezuelans would be dying to be in your position. Like many IMGs you might consider retraining in another health care profession.