+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR with condition 51- living together continuously 2yr

Rxy123

Feb 6, 2017
Hi guys!

First off I have been a fan of this forum for quite some time, it has gotten me through the past 3 yrs in my journey to Canadian PR... so thank you! :)

I'm an American citizen who fell for and married a Canadian guy. I was lucky to have received my PR in May of last year with the condition 51 that requires that we live together for 2yrs continuously. I moved to Canada and had a very hard time finding work in my field of practice so after 8months I decided to take a temporary contract position back in the states(for a US company I previously worked for)for a few months. My partner came with as his work granted him the opportunity to work remotely for 3months which has been great and allowed us to still be in compliance with he conditional PR rules. The 3 months is now almost up and he will be returning to Canada for work while I am considering staying for 2 additional months in order to make more money since I'm broke from being unemployed for so long. I would also be able to gain further experience in the temporary position I'm in and start applying for jobs in Canada again. Would I be jeopardizing my PR status if I stay for the 2months and whatever odd days without him living with me? I know the details regarding condition 51 are bit vague in terms of 'short temporary periods of seperation'. Has anyone here lived apart from their partner under these conditions and had trouble getting back in? Also, I recently heard there is a bill to remove the 2 yr condition stated to go through sometime this Spring... i thought about trying to come after it was passed as. Ot to jeopardize anything but that is also a risk I'm not sure its worth taking. Any advise anyone has would be very much appreciated!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I think you will be fine. It would become an issue if your partner were to call CIC and claim the relationship had broken down, so on and so forth. I believe this would be classed as a 'short term, temporary' thing without problem. I would NOT wait for them to pass a law. You would probably be waiting far longer than you think, this is government, after all ;)