+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR with child attending boarding school in Canada

Apr 26, 2017
My family and I are PR; we landed a year ago. We have no Canadian ties. We intent to move to Canada for good in 2 years time.

My daughter (who is less than 18 y.o.) will attend a Canadian International boarding (high) school as of Aug. this year as a full time student. Once the school finishes, my daughter will return to our current home country. All expenses will be paid by my employer.

For parents who are non Canadian PR, the fact of having their children attending a boarding school in Canada does not create a tie to make them Residents for tax purposes. Is this correct ?

I know that having a dependant living and Canada will create a sufficient tie for me to become resident for tax purposes. However, my case is different that having a child living in Canada and attending a public school and receiving social benefits. My employer will pay a Canadian institution to provide my daughter with all her needs while in Canada (bed, food, education, recreation, etc ) ....

Hence, in my case as a PR, does the fact of having my PR daughter studying is such boarding schools will create a tie so I will become Resident for tax purposes ?

Appreciate you comments/