+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Travel document? Vienna or Dusseldorf for Germany?

ronypete

Star Member
Jun 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
10-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2014
LANDED..........
29-10-2014
Hey guys,

I need to apply for the Permanent Resident Travel Document. But I'm confused about the process. I immigrated from Germany and the Visa office responsible is Vienna. I thought I have to send everything to Vienna and pay to their account. Before sending it off I found this entry

"Please note that if you submit your application for temporary residence (visitor, student, worker) or for a permanent resident travel document to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Düsseldorf, Germany, you must pay the processing fees to the VAC Düsseldorf. Do not submit the fees to the Canadian Embassy."

So where do I apply now? Dusseldorf or Vienna? Does anyone know? Dusseldorf is double the price, why?!?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If you are a German citizen and hold a German passport which is visa-exempt to Canada, then you shouldn't even need a PR Travel Document.

Just board the plane as a visitor to Canada on your visa-exempt passport, and once in Canada they can determine your PR status even if you don't have your PR card on you or it's expired.

ronypete

Star Member
Jun 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
10-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2014
LANDED..........
29-10-2014
are you sure? I always thought you have to have your PR card or the travel document to be able to re-enter Canada as a PR. Except you enter via private vehicle in which case the landing document sufficient. On the websites it always says that you need it.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ronypete said:
are you sure? I always thought you have to have your PR card or the travel document to be able to re-enter Canada as a PR. Except you enter via private vehicle in which case the landing document sufficient. On the websites it always says that you need it.
No the PR Travel Doc is ONLY for purpose of boarding the airplane. And if you can board on your visa-exempt passport, then you don't need the PRTD.

Once in Canada CBSA doesn't need your PR card. It makes no difference if you enter at a land crossing or an airport, the process is all the same. Your passport and COPR is more than enough.

Of course if the reason you don't have PR card is because you've been outside Canada for so long that it's expired, and you don't meet residency obligation, that is a whole other situation.

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
No the PR Travel Doc is ONLY for purpose of boarding the airplane. And if you can board on your visa-exempt passport, then you don't need the PRTD.

Once in Canada CBSA doesn't need your PR card. It makes no difference if you enter at a land crossing or an airport, the process is all the same. Your passport and COPR is more than enough.

Of course if the reason you don't have PR card is because you've been outside Canada for so long that it's expired, and you don't meet residency obligation, that is a whole other situation.
If you are not from a visa exempt country and wants to come in to Canada without the PR card; what should i do? where can i obtain the travel document from (when i enter the country for the first time?)

thanks