+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR travel document - please help

laraJ

Sep 9, 2013
Hi,

My PR card has expired and I have applied for renewal but I will receive only in December as per processing time.

I am leaving for India for an emergency with expired pr card and planning to apply for travel document in India. I meet the obligations and I have lived in canada in the last five years.

will there be any problem in getting travel document? does any one have any experience/difficulty in getting td?

please advise.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
laraJ said:
Hi,

My PR card has expired and I have applied for renewal but I will receive only in December as per processing time.

I am leaving for India for an emergency with expired pr card and planning to apply for travel document in India. I meet the obligations and I have lived in canada in the last five years.

will there be any problem in getting travel document? does any one have any experience/difficulty in getting td?

please advise.

Take documents with you that proves your 2 year residency in Canada. E.g Job letter from your employer, Tax returns, T4 - These will be helpful while applying for travel document. In case embassy asks for any of these documents.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
laraJ said:
Hi,

please advise.
Check CIC website for PR Card renewal process on an urgent basis - it has instructions on what to do if you have an application in process. Your outbound travel date will determine how feasible switching to urgent processing is. If this doesn't work out go with advise from rajmalhotra7 - take documents that act as proof of 'active residence' e.g. job letter, medical letters, dentist receipts etc not passive residence e.g. credit card statements for a joint account as this doesn't necessarily prove it was you in Canada.

laraJ

Sep 9, 2013
Thank you rajmalhotra7 & Msafiri.

My application has not been processed yet. I checked the status. I am leaving on Oct 14th.

I am not working here. I have tax assessments, child tax benefit statements and my power bills as proof. will that be enough? please advise.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depends on the nature of your tax assessments - what is the source of your income? Have you ever worked in Canada? Child benefit tax statements and utility bills are inconclusive evidence - you can have this without being in Canada. Do you drive? Get a driver history from the registry showing issue date any tickets etc. Do you volunteer? Do you have any doctor, dentist, optician bills?

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
What about rental car agreements, Hotels bills, traffic tickets when officer stopped you (doesn't mean you take one purposely). Regarding Health history I submitted to CRA my family Physcian letter confirming I got treatment from him numbers of times, CRA accepted the letter as proof.