+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR through courier is illegal?

dr_sarwat

Jul 9, 2009
Hi all,

I am a new landed immigrant. Due to a family emergency, I had to leave Canada before getting my PR card. My husband is living in Canada and he has not yet received my PR card. I have heard that sending PR card through courier is not legal and FEDEX and other courier services do not allow to do so?

Is that right? This is making me very anxious!!!!!!!!!!

suggestions and past experiences???????????

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I've never heard that it's illegal to courier or FEDEX a PR card. It IS illegal to send a passport across some international borders, but I've never heard that it's illegal to send a PR card. The PR card is just your proof that you are a Canadian permanent resident - it's of no value anywhere but in Canada and at a Canadian port of entry. It's not a travel document and it's not the same thing as a passport. Hopefully someone else who knows for sure will respond but, as I said, I've never heard this said before.

dr_sarwat

Jul 9, 2009
I read it on this forum, below is the link to it:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pr-card-delivery-t31951.0.html

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
To be honest, that thread ended up being pretty inconclusive. Seems the only thing written by CIC in regards to PR cards being mailed overseas is that they don't support or condone it . . . although they don't really elaborate on why. I suspect this is because people who apply for PR in Canada are expected to come to Canada and settle here. Too many get Canadian PR and then go home again - coming back only for long enough to maintain their PR status - but their intention is not really to settle in Canada, it's usually to secure rights for their family members. That's the reason PRs must be resident in Canada in order to be eligible to sponsor family members. All of this is consistent with the immigrant having to provide a Canadian mailing address to the officer at the landing interview.

At any rate, personally I'm not familiar with this member quorax, but I am familiar with PMM from several immigration forums and over the past several years his information has been sound and consistent. Again, we are not talking about CIC mailing or couriering a PR card, and I don't agree with this comment, either:
qorax said:
Moreover, if they are 'lost in transit', we'll have no recourse to re-enter and/or reapply for it being overseas. Even if we try to re-enter vide the usual process of obtaining a 'temporary' "PRTD-A31 (3)" [PR Travel Document] at the local CHC, that might also be denied as the system would show that we are already holding a PR Card.
I was under the impression that it is possible to re-enter Canada after "landing" by showing the Confirmation of Permanent Residence received at the end of the PR process. If what quorax says is true about immigration officers at landing refusing to accept the PR card application if the immigrate indicates intention of leaving soon, and requiring that it be filed later, on re-entry . . . then what authorizes re-entry at that time that wouldn't authorize re-entry for someone entering Canada without their PR card, after their landing interview has been completed?

When we can't come up with a reasonable consensus, it means you're not hearing from people who either have personal experience with the question posed, or can quote something from the manuals or the IRPA that specifically addresses the issue. Opinions are just opinions - so in your case, my recommendation would be that your sponsor contacts his MP to get "official" instructions on how to proceed.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Keep in mind what CIC says about using a courier to send a PR card overseas - they say they will not do it, and they don't encourage it. They do not say it is illegal. Your husband can send you the card.

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
we sent ours... I told the woman at the canada post outlet that was what was in the envelope... no issues at all.

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
as long as you have the proof of landing you were given you shouldn't have much trouble going back into Canada (much, im sure there will be a little) i dont recommend having it mailed to you its not worth the risk

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are outside Canada and want to return without PR card, proof of landing is not enough. You have to apply for a travel document from the Canadian consulate in your home country. Courier should be okay but not ordinary mail.