+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Sponsor for Family

prak11

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Hello,

I'm a canadian PR and I'm currently living in the US. My wife is in India. Can someone tell me the following
(a) Can I sponsor my wife for PR while I'm in the US
(b) If I have to be in Canada and my wife has to be in India to sponsor, how long does the whole process take?
(C) After applying for PR can my wife travel to canada using a temporary resident visa if the process takes longer time and then go to india and collect the COPR document when it is ready and return to canada as a PR?

Thanks

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
a. No. Since you're a PR, you need to be living in Canada to be eligible to sponsor your wife.

b. From the time you submit your application, it typically takes one month to be approved as the sponsor. Then the application will be sent to New Delhi CHC where processing times to finalize the application is 2 to 6 months.

c. She can try, but often a tourist visa is refused when the spouse is living in Canada. With a temporary visa, you need to convince the visa officer that you will leave at the end of your visa -- it's often hard to convince them of this with a spouse in Canada. But no harm in trying -- some people are successful. If she could demonstrate significant ties to India such as a job to return to or family to look after, etc. then she stands a better chance of getting a TR visa.

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
new delhi is an extremely fast processing center. 70% of cases are done in 4 months. Move back to Canada and chances are you'll be reunited shortly!

prak11

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Hello,
Thank you all for responding to my query.I have couple more things that I want to clarify
(a) Say my wife gets a temporary resident visa in India, can they deny entry after landing in Canada because spouse has a PR?
(b) When I go to Canada from US, I will not have a job there. Can I show my bank balances as proof of funds and apply as a sponsor or I need to get a job and then apply as a sponsor?
(C) After landing in Canada, Can I apply as a sponsor for my wife and then go to India for couple of months and come back to Canada?

Thanks

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
prak11 said:
(a) Say my wife gets a temporary resident visa in India, can they deny entry after landing in Canada because spouse has a PR?
They can deny entry at the airport or border to someone with a TRV, but they usually let them in.
(b) When I go to Canada from US, I will not have a job there. Can I show my bank balances as proof of funds and apply as a sponsor or I need to get a job and then apply as a sponsor?
You don't need a job to sponsor, or any money. Showing your bank balance as proof of funds, and evidence you are looking for job, won't hurt, though.
(C) After landing in Canada, Can I apply as a sponsor for my wife and then go to India for couple of months and come back to Canada?
PRs are supposed to stay in Canada during the sponsorship. Short trips out are OK. I wouldn't risk a couple of months.