+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR revival of Children's, now major, PR expired with parents' PR when minor.

rmgulati

Dec 29, 2021
Parents' and children's PR expired (in 2012) when children were minor. Now children are major. Is it now possible to revive only children's PR? Please guide.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Son is 19. As of now only 1.
Read other threads here. Basically the youth would apply for a PRTD (pr travel document) on basis that was removed from Canada as a minor and now is attempting to return at first realistic possibility. (Could also travel to usa and present at border and take chances there). I'm assuming prtd is most likely i.e. child does not have/would need visa to usa.

No-one can say what chances are that prtd will be approved. Factors that would be considered are age, attempt to return, ties to Canada, etc. (Eg chances might be better if child spent much time in Canada and was schooled there, less if only ever spent a day in Canada.)

rmgulati

Dec 29, 2021
Read other threads here. Basically the youth would apply for a PRTD (pr travel document) on basis that was removed from Canada as a minor and now is attempting to return at first realistic possibility. (Could also travel to usa and present at border and take chances there). I'm assuming prtd is most likely i.e. child does not have/would need visa to usa.

No-one can say what chances are that prtd will be approved. Factors that would be considered are age, attempt to return, ties to Canada, etc. (Eg chances might be better if child spent much time in Canada and was schooled there, less if only ever spent a day in Canada.)
Thank you so much for your prompt response. The parents and the child could stay in Canada for just 2 months. They all had to return to India due to some unavoidable circumstances. The child went to school for only a month. He was 5 years old then.

I found the following:
Eligibility
You can apply for a permanent resident travel document if you:

• are a permanent resident,
  • do not have a valid PR card showing your PR status,
  • are outside Canada, and
  • will return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus.
So according to this, he will not be eligible since the validity of his PR was up to 2012.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you so much for your prompt response. The parents and the child could stay in Canada for just 2 months. They all had to return to India due to some unavoidable circumstances. The child went to school for only a month. He was 5 years old then.
I'm not predicting whatever way it will be handled - I've no idea. But you can see why these considerations would enter in to the decision. All you / the child can do is make best possible presentation of situation.

I think it's reasonable to say that there isn't enough consistency in how these are handled to say that any one factor alone is decisive. Some at least get approved where ties don't seem strong. So give it a try.

(One could wildly speculate that govt won't be highly motivated to be 'strict' on this when targets to increase immigration by government are quite high, but that may be overly logical and not how the system works from within)

Good luck.

rmgulati

Dec 29, 2021
I'm not predicting whatever way it will be handled - I've no idea. But you can see why these considerations would enter in to the decision. All you / the child can do is make best possible presentation of situation.

I think it's reasonable to say that there isn't enough consistency in how these are handled to say that any one factor alone is decisive. Some at least get approved where ties don't seem strong. So give it a try.

(One could wildly speculate that govt won't be highly motivated to be 'strict' on this when targets to increase immigration by government are quite high, but that may be overly logical and not how the system works from within)

Good luck.
Ok. Thanks again.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ok. Thanks again.
I know it's early but your son should keep in mind - if this is successful - that there will be some challenges once arriving. Should be able to apply for a PR card but taht's not a quick process. Health care/insurance, getting a SIN number (and hence ability to work) may depnd on getting that PR card, lots of things. I won't try to outline - depends on other factors too, like which province.

Anyway, just to flag things to consider and prepare for.

rmgulati

Dec 29, 2021
I know it's early but your son should keep in mind - if this is successful - that there will be some challenges once arriving. Should be able to apply for a PR card but taht's not a quick process. Health care/insurance, getting a SIN number (and hence ability to work) may depnd on getting that PR card, lots of things. I won't try to outline - depends on other factors too, like which province.

Anyway, just to flag things to consider and prepare for.
Your replies are very much helpful. Thanks again.

Neuro

Jul 17, 2021
permannt resident travel document (prtd) for those who do not have valid pr card or those who are not in compliance with their RO like your children remived as minor