+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal

morespinach

Feb 2, 2023
Question about "Absences", or "Time Spent Outside Canada". In this do I need to enter all my travels for the last 5 years? There must be like 35 business trips! What's the deal with this field?

Also, my PR expires in April 2023. If I apply now -- physical mailing I suppose is safe instead of online -- then will my PR card expire in April, or can I get a grace period until they issue me a new one?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Question about "Absences", or "Time Spent Outside Canada". In this do I need to enter all my travels for the last 5 years? There must be like 35 business trips! What's the deal with this field?

Also, my PR expires in April 2023. If I apply now -- physical mailing I suppose is safe instead of online -- then will my PR card expire in April, or can I get a grace period until they issue me a new one?
Yes, enter your travels for the last 5 years.

No grace period. We have up to 9 months before the expiry date to send in the renewal application form.

morespinach

Feb 2, 2023
Thank you. So if it takes more time than April 2023, then during that period I cannot travel? Or I can travel, but will use my passport?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. So if it takes more time than April 2023, then during that period I cannot travel? Or I can travel, but will use my passport?
Unless you are a U.S. citizen you need the hPR card in addition to your passport to to enter Canada by air. You don’t need a valid PR card to enter Canada at the land border.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From this forum, I saw people got their new cards in 6 months. If you have US visa, you can also drive there and return at a land border using your expired PR card.

xanadu99

Jul 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016

I am in the same boat, about 30 odd trips abroad but i had to list all of them, i still met the RO but 150+ days, but i also sent my renewal online last September as my card expires in April as well. I presume its done on priority basis as to when our cards expire, me having had 7 months from when i applied i may have been pushed to the back of the que? :-((

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

You can always obtain your Exit/Entry data from CBSA via an ATIP request, but...since you need to populate the travel history before submitting the application, it will add to the delay before you can actually submit the application. Also will say that it may not include all exits from Canada. No idea how long it takes to receive the info from CBSA. Check their website for more info.

xanadu99

Jul 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
You can always obtain your Exit/Entry data from CBSA via an ATIP request, but...since you need to populate the travel history before submitting the application, it will add to the delay before you can actually submit the application. Also will say that it may not include all exits from Canada. No idea how long it takes to receive the info from CBSA. Check their website for more info.
Took me about 20-30 days to get it back from CBSA, and its perfect for making sure you are accurate, it only started adding exits from September 2021.

Reactions: Ponga