+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal

jacks22

Aug 25, 2022
Toronto
Hello Friends,
I got the 5 year PR on 2016 and I stayed in Canada for more than 2200days.
I returned back to my country last year
and my PR expired 1 year back ,still I didn't renew it
.1).is it ok to renew it after one more year? or is it mandatory to renew it now ?
2). I don't have a job in Canada now .is it mandatory to have a job to apply for renewal .
please advice as early as possible

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Friends,
I got the 5 year PR on 2016 and I stayed in Canada for more than 2200days.
I returned back to my country last year
and my PR expired 1 year back ,still I didn't renew it
.1).is it ok to renew it after one more year? or is it mandatory to renew it now ?
2). I don't have a job in Canada now .is it mandatory to have a job to apply for renewal .
please advice as early as possible

Are you back in Canada? How many days have you spent in Canada in the past 5 years?

Reactions: jacks22

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
No still I am outside Canada.
I spent 1240 days in the past 5 years
If you meet RO, then you need apply for PRTD so you can return to Canada.
Then you can apply to renew your PR card once you are in Canada.

RO is determined in rolling 5 years, so you will "lost" days that you stayed in Canada if you continue to stay outside.

to answer your questions:
1) no you do not have to renew your PR card. And you can only do so if you are in Canada
2) you do not need to have a job to renew your PR card.

(note your PR status is not "tie" to your PR card.)
But in some province having a valid PR card is essetinal to obtain some IDs. Since you lived in Canada before, I believe you likely have most of your IDs already. You may need a valid card to renew your DL in some province.

Reactions: jacks22

jacks22

Aug 25, 2022
Toronto
If you meet RO, then you need apply for PRTD so you can return to Canada.
Then you can apply to renew your PR card once you are in Canada.

RO is determined in rolling 5 years, so you will "lost" days that you stayed in Canada if you continue to stay outside.

to answer your questions:
1) no you do not have to renew your PR card. And you can only do so if you are in Canada
2) you do not need to have a job to renew your PR card.

(note your PR status is not "tie" to your PR card.)
But in some province having a valid PR card is essetinal to obtain some IDs. Since you lived in Canada before, I believe you likely have most of your IDs already. You may need a valid card to renew your DL in some province.
May I know the meaning of RO
is it ok to get prtd after one more year ? Is it safe

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
May I know the meaning of RO
is it ok to get prtd after one more year ? Is it safe
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=4

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

RO is short for residency obligation
To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days.

jacks22

Aug 25, 2022
Toronto

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If you can enter USA, you could fly to USA and enter Canada by a land border (with other id such as passport and your expired PR card to show you are a PR and help them find you in the system). This way you would not have to wait for the PRTD to be processed.

You should also look into applying for citizenship - not as a substitute for returning but to do the process while you have > 1095 days physically in Canada in last five years.

Reactions: jacks22 and YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
OP can apply for citizenship with 1240 days in the last 5 years.
Agree, I'm just noting that there are other requirements that may need to get sorted first (tax filings etc) and logistics of when to apply to consider. But also may depend on when returns to Canada - if stays out of Canada a lot longer could fall below that 1095, so should apply for citizenship when still above that 1095 (as I understand.)

Reactions: jacks22 and YVR123

jacks22

Aug 25, 2022
Toronto
If you can enter USA, you could fly to USA and enter Canada by a land border (with other id such as passport and your expired PR card to show you are a PR and help them find you in the system). This way you would not have to wait for the PRTD to be processed.

You should also look into applying for citizenship - not as a substitute for returning but to do the process while you have > 1095 days physically in Canada in last five years.
At present I don’t have a visa to enter USA.

jacks22

Aug 25, 2022
Toronto
Agree, I'm just noting that there are other requirements that may need to get sorted first (tax filings etc) and logistics of when to apply to consider. But also may depend on when returns to Canada - if stays out of Canada a lot longer could fall below that 1095, so should apply for citizenship when still above that 1095 (as I understand.)
So for PRTD more than 730 days
And for citizenship more than 1095 days is required

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OP can apply for citizenship with 1240 days in the last 5 years.
They may not meet the RO for citizenship by the time the get the application together and they’ll need to continue maintaining their RO as a PR to qualify for citizenship. It’s unclear if they are permanently relocating to Canada. All things to consider when deciding if applying citizenship is an option.

Reactions: YVR123 and jacks22

jacks22

Aug 25, 2022
Toronto
I have a quick question regarding prtd
1) Do they ask for proof of fund or job ?

I don't have a job in Canada now .is it mandatory to have a job to apply for prtd renewal . I started looking for job but job hunting from here in my country is very difficult .