+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Hello,

I have applied for PR renewal. I became PR in December 2004 but I went back after landing. I have returned to stay in CANADA and also to get my 2 years of PR days. I stayed for 2 years (more than that) in CANADA physically. I am still in canada.

I have applied for PR renewal before it expires (atleaset two months before). But my 730 days complete after my application date (2 months after).

1. Will they (CIC) renew my PR?.
2. They have renewed my spouse PR and we received the card also. But in my case they asked my to send all passport pages. I have mailed them two days back, still waiting for the answer.
3. CIC asked me to provide proof of residency between landing date and my PR application date (NOT EXPIRY DATE).

Can you please suggest?

Honestly, I did not know that I should apply after PR expiry date.I was reading on this forum today that they will take application date into consideration. Is this correct? If Yes, How should I approach this issue?

Thank you very much.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you have not been outside Canada for 1095 days or more since you got your PR, they will have to renew.

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Leon,

Thank you very much.

My question is, will they check number of days between "Landing date" and "PR Reew application date OR Actual PR expiry date".

If they check PR Renew appication date, I will not meet 730 days. I have applied early as it was taking time to renew PR as per CIC website.

If they check actual PR expirdate, I have more than 2years as I did not travel outside canada and I have proof of residency (passports, health card , lease etc).

Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you are not a PR for 5 years, you are doing your first renewal, right? Then they look at the time since you got your PR. If you have not been outside Canada for 1095 days or more, then they can not say that you don't meet the residency requirements in your first 5 years as a PR because you still have a chance to.

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Leon,

Thank you for the update.

Yes. This is the first time I am renewing the PR.

If I take from date of landing to 5 years, I have stayed for 2 Years + few more days in Canada physically. I have proof of residency for this time.

When I was reading this forum, it was mentioned that, CIC will take PR renewal application date not the actual expiry date. I am worried with this comment. (Please note that this is just for reference : Karlshammar member mentioned this point).

Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have already been a PR for 5 years (more than 5 years since landing date), they will go from the day you applied to renew your PR card and back in time 5 years and it is that period you can not have been outside Canada 1095 days or longer but of course you put all this down when you applied to renew your PR when it asks, have you been outside Canada 1095 days or more and if so, please explain.

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Leon,

Once again Thank you for the information.

So in my case even I have applied at an early date, they have to take 5 year date.

Applied for PR in - October
PR expiry date & 5 year completion date - December. So they will consider this for 5 year calculation- Correct?

Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf23-eng.pdf article 7.3 on page 13. You will see that they can not deny you by looking at October because at that time, you still had 2 months to meet your 730 days. Another question is if they believe you. Maybe they found a reason to question some of your dates and that is why they want you to prove it to them. I think the strongest proof of the last couple of years would be bank records and you should be able to get them from your bank if you don't have them anymore. They will show your purchases and withdrawals within Canada. You can also get a letter from your employer stating during what period you have worked for him. A lease is not really proof of residency because you can rent an apartment and not live there.

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Hi,

My PR renewal application is still pending. I have received a letter from CIC office "Delayed application" and it is with "Client Service Unit
for review". I have applied in October 2009 and received above letter in March 2010.

Has anyone received same type of letter OR in same situation?

Thank you.

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Hi All,

I have stayed in canada for 750 days, I have mailed them all my passport pages, still it is delayed. When I called call center, they said it is going to take 5 months (from march).

I am planning to travel in July to India. My PR card is expired and waiting for new card since october. (Filed in october and process started in Jan 2010).

Can I request them to expedite my process? When I send the request, Do I need to send travel iternary OR confirmed ticket copy. I am also planning to send a medical history from my family doctor, couple of purchase receipts in (furniture, car maintenance from dealer etc..) and also bank statements.

Can someone advice on this, please?

Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can definitely try to ask them to expedite. Will your trip put you below 730 days in the last 5 or is it just a short one?

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
Leon,

Thank you.

My PR card has expired in December and I have stayed in canada physically 750 days by December 2009. I hope I am clear here.
Durng this 750 days period, I have even sponsered my son ( 3 years old at that time) for his immigration and he received his immigration, landed here and he is going to school also. I have never left canada during this period.

I have applied for my PR card renewal (this is my first PR card renewal) in october even before actual PR card expiry date.

Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think applying before your expiry date has helped you here. Your application might have gone smoother if you had waited until you reached 730 days in Canada before applying. Still, according to their own publications, they can not deny you since you were not outside Canada for 1095 days or more since you became PR.

IBM

Star Member
Feb 10, 2010
That is correct. I think I should have checked this forum before appying the PR renewal. :)

Now, I will wait and see.

Thank you.