+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal with Residency obligation

elise009

Dec 17, 2018
Hello,
We have landed in Canada in 2012 by car and received our PR cards.
But we have not applied our SIN at that time. We have no SIN.
Since then we have not returned to Canada. We were living in US.
Our PR cards expired may 2018 and with a risk we crossed the border in Sep 2018.
On H&C grounds we are allowed to live in Canada without reporting.
We informed them on basis of my son's health issue. Officer told us we can live for 2 more years in Canada and renew our PR card. Or we can apply for renewal right away H&C grounds.
As per your experiences, what is the better thing to do in my situation.
Please let us know your suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello,
We have landed in Canada in 2012 by car and received our PR cards.
But we have not applied our SIN at that time. We have no SIN.
Since then we have not returned to Canada. We were living in US.
Our PR cards expired may 2018 and with a risk we crossed the border in Sep 2018.
On H&C grounds we are allowed to live in Canada without reporting.
We informed them on basis of my son's health issue. Officer told us we can live for 2 more years in Canada and renew our PR card. Or we can apply for renewal right away H&C grounds.
As per your experiences, what is the better thing to do in my situation.
Please let us know your suggestions. Thanks in advance!!
Safest is to wait until you are compliant with the Residency Obligation requirements. Just because you got an H&C pass from CBSA at the border, it doesn't mean you will with IRCC on a PR card renewal.

elise009

Dec 17, 2018
Thanks for quick reply!!
We tried to apply OHIP on landing papers, but as PR card expired, the service Ontario asked to get a letter from immigration as PR is in valid status. We are not aware how to get this. And not sure if we can contact immigration regarding this now with our situation. They have also declined to give SIN on landing papers. They wanted us to have valid PR cards.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for quick reply!!
We tried to apply OHIP on landing papers, but as PR card expired, the service Ontario asked to get a letter from immigration as PR is in valid status. We are not aware how to get this. And not sure if we can contact immigration regarding this now with our situation. They have also declined to give SIN on landing papers. They wanted us to have valid PR cards.
Yes, I was expecting this.

Your choice whether or not you risk your PR status by applying for a renewal of your PR cards.

Reactions: elise009 and scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately without the ability to work or healthcare you probable have no choice but to file for new PR cards. Given that Canada provides healthcare seems strange that you were given a pass. You must have anticipated there would be challenges coming back after 6 years and without SIN cards.

Reactions: elise009

fasoola7321

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
Thanks for sharing your experience. If you do not mind, what was your details for staying in the US? and what was your son's health issue? and why now did you decide to return to Canada via land border entry? Just wanted to get some context on this. Thanks!