+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR RENEWAL WHILE OUTSIDE CANADA WITH CANADIAN SPOUSE

RaziRaju

May 6, 2018
I AM PRESENTLY OUTSIDE CANADA WITH MY WIFE A CANADIAN CITIZEN .I HAVE TO RENEW MY PR CARD IN NEXT THREE MONTHS.IS IT COMPULSORY TO BE PHYSICALLY IN CANADA FOR RENEWAL OF PR CARD.IF HUSBAND IS WORKING OUTSIDE CANADA WITH CANADIAN WIFE IS ANY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RENEWAL

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You already got an answer back in May in that renewals need to applied for from within Canada and the new card will only be mailed to an address in Canada. In a case like yours as and when you want to return you apply for a PRTD with proof of living outside with a citizen to satisfy the residency obligation requirement.

A PR card is only required for you to board a plane, whether it is expired or not is not relevant to your PR status, only maintaining proof supporting you accompanying a citizen is important for the RO any future PR card renewal or PRTD application.

Note that posting in CAPITALS is almost same as shouting which am sure is not your intention.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-renewal-living-abroad-with-canadian-spouse.558533/#post-6923247

RaziRaju

May 6, 2018
You already got an answer back in May in that renewals need to applied for from within Canada and the new card will only be mailed to an address in Canada. In a case like yours as and when you want to return you apply for a PRTD with proof of living outside with a citizen to satisfy the residency obligation requirement.

A PR card is only required for you to board a plane, whether it is expired or not is not relevant to your PR status, only maintaining proof supporting you accompanying a citizen is important for the RO any future PR card renewal or PRTD application.

Note that posting in CAPITALS is almost same as shouting which am sure is not your intention.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-renewal-living-abroad-with-canadian-spouse.558533/#post-6923247
Thanks a lot I will be carefull

explorer84

Oct 21, 2017

Hi,
You have mentioned in above reply that - A PR card is only required for you to board a plane, whether it is expired or not is not relevant to your PR status . I have a similar situation where my card will expire next month sept 2023, and i intend to go to canada only in April 2024. So can i travel to Canada in april just by showing the PR card (which is expired) and then apply for renewal in Canada or will i need the PRTD to travel to Canada in 2024 ? Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
You have mentioned in above reply that - A PR card is only required for you to board a plane, whether it is expired or not is not relevant to your PR status . I have a similar situation where my card will expire next month sept 2023, and i intend to go to canada only in April 2024. So can i travel to Canada in april just by showing the PR card (which is expired) and then apply for renewal in Canada or will i need the PRTD to travel to Canada in 2024 ? Thanks!
You will need a PRTD.

Rao IR

Jan 1, 2024
Hi, while living outside of Canada with Canadian Citizen spouse, what type of proof to show/present (documents etc) to fulfil RO requirements with PR renewal application.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, while living outside of Canada with Canadian Citizen spouse, what type of proof to show/present (documents etc) to fulfil RO requirements with PR renewal application.
Things like joint bank account statements.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If renewing on basis of the accompanying-citizen-spouse part, I'd really emphasize things that show you live together - leases, etc. Bank statements might work as well, just depends.
But some people won't be able to show leases especially if they live in their parents home

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But some people won't be able to show leases especially if they live in their parents home
Yes, if they have them. Then they should show alternate forms of evidence showing they reside together.

My point being that joint bank accounts are nice, but since the crux of the issue for accompanying-spouse-abroad is 'accompanying' (usually meaning cohabiting abroad), then ... that's what they need to show. Bank accounts might do so, might not, depending. Utilities bills or other, official docs, whatever tends best to demonstrate that.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, if they have them. Then they should show alternate forms of evidence showing they reside together.

My point being that joint bank accounts are nice, but since the crux of the issue for accompanying-spouse-abroad is 'accompanying' (usually meaning cohabiting abroad), then ... that's what they need to show. Bank accounts might do so, might not, depending. Utilities bills or other, official docs, whatever tends best to demonstrate that.
What alternate forms of evidence if they live in their parents home? Utility bills will usually be under their parents. Telecom bills might also do so.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What alternate forms of evidence if they live in their parents home? Utility bills will usually be under their parents. Telecom bills might also do so.
What do you want me to say? People have to figure things out. If they don't have one, get something else. Same as demonstrating common law in some respects - figure out what demonstrates what you're claiming. Go get some official docs with address on it. Maybe their bank info works in their case, maybe not.

[Side note, is it really all that common for spouses-accomapnying-citizens, AFTER having resided in Canada, to then go and live with parents for lengthy periods and not on their own? Rhetorical question. Maybe it is. That's their business. Not clear to me it's the case here, either, no indication from the post.]