+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal - unable to fulfil 2/5 year requirement

grapz

Sep 1, 2014
hey guys looking for some advice on my situation.

I have a Canadian PR but I go to school in the US and will have a very hard time meeting my 2 years out of 5 requirement.

In two years time my PR card will be expired and I would like to renew my PR card.

Does anyone know if we can write to CIC to explain my case?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others am sure will comment as well but there is nothing really to explain as far as IRCC are concerned given it is your personal choice to study in the US so there is really no case to support failing the RO.

As you are aware the rules are clear that as a PR you must reside in Canada for 2 years in any 5 years, a very generous objective to meet and attending college or financial reasons for not meeting the RO are rarely if ever accepted for H&C to maintain PR status.

Also note that in reality you cannot apply to renew your PR card from outside Canada but of course even if you do attempt to renew having failed RO then the process to revoke your PR would likely start.

Not knowing how long you intend to be outside Canada your only option really as opposed to trying to renew your PR card is at some point to plan to move back to Canada via a land border, hope you do not get reported, stay put for a couple years to reset your RO and then apply to renew your card.

Last edited:

grapz

Sep 1, 2014
Thanks.

Do you think I can renounce my PR. Then apply for another PR that way resetting my RO?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks.

Do you think I can renounce my PR. Then apply for another PR that way resetting my RO?
Sure if you renounce you can apply again. The government doesn't penalize you if you didn't comply with your RO and then start the PR process again.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How did you sponsor your wife if you couldn't prove your intent to move to Canada when she got her PR? If you are a Canadian citizen doing their residency in the US is your wife living with you?

grapz

Sep 1, 2014
At the time when I sponsored my wife she intended to move back to Canada to do her residency. But matching in Canada as a US medical grad can be difficult and is not up to you on whether or not you get a spot. She ended up going to the US for residency. Her residency is 4 years and thus we are in this predictament.

I’m doing my residency in canada
She wants to come back to Canada to work. I guess she can apply as a skilled worker too? After renouncing her PR

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hopefully you can both get jobs in the same city. I assume you'll do fellowships which seems to be expected these days. Not sure why you applied for PR in the first place if she wasn't even a Canadian citizen that studied abroad trying to match. The chance of matching as an international student studying in the US was is than 1%.

grapz

Sep 1, 2014
It’s not as difficult as it is believed to be.

She graduated from a US school and according to carms she’s not an IMG but a CMG. Ultimately though she decided to go to the states.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canadian grads and grads the had done placements tend to get all the spots since I assume Canadian grads get priority. There are very few unmatched spots these days and last choice is usually rural GPs.

Reactions: Buletruck