+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal: Residency Obligation evidence?

blueflags

Jul 23, 2023
Hey everyone,

I am renewing my PR due to legal name change, and landed in 2019, so less than 5 years ago. I have also not left the country since I landed.

I have a question about the new Residency Obligation requirement that has been added to the PR application. I find the wording very confusing, It says 2 pieces of evidence, but then gives an example of CRA Notice of Assessment for 5 years. Wouldn't that be 5 pieces of evidence? Do I need to provide documents covering the entire time I have been PR, or will two random documents really suffice? I want to make sure I am interpreting this correctly. Thank you in advance!

You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:

employment records or pay stubs;
bank statements;
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
rental agreements;
club memberships;

or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey everyone,

I am renewing my PR due to legal name change, and landed in 2019, so less than 5 years ago. I have also not left the country since I landed.

I have a question about the new Residency Obligation requirement that has been added to the PR application. I find the wording very confusing, It says 2 pieces of evidence, but then gives an example of CRA Notice of Assessment for 5 years. Wouldn't that be 5 pieces of evidence? Do I need to provide documents covering the entire time I have been PR, or will two random documents really suffice? I want to make sure I am interpreting this correctly. Thank you in advance!

You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:

employment records or pay stubs;
bank statements;
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
rental agreements;
club memberships;

or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
-It seems (so far) that this is only two pieces of evidence, including single copies of various things as listed.

-I interpret the statement "CRA Notice ... for the five (5) years immediately before" to mean that the notice provided should be from the period mentioned (not some other period), not that you must submit five of them, but I cannot say for certain. If you want to include more NOAs, you (probably) won't be punished for it.

Why do I think this? Because otherwise would not make sense or be consistent, and with government documents, it makes more sense to assume the issue is that it was written by a committee rather than some intentional weirdness.

blueflags

Jul 23, 2023
T
-It seems (so far) that this is only two pieces of evidence, including single copies of various things as listed.

-I interpret the statement "CRA Notice ... for the five (5) years immediately before" to mean that the notice provided should be from the period mentioned (not some other period), not that you must submit five of them, but I cannot say for certain. If you want to include more NOAs, you (probably) won't be punished for it.

Why do I think this? Because otherwise would not make sense or be consistent, and with government documents, it makes more sense to assume the issue is that it was written by a committee rather than some intentional weirdness.
Thank you so much for your reply!