+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal Questions

sang1507

Star Member
Mar 7, 2018
Hi,
My PR card was issued in Apr 2015. The expiry on my card shows as Jun 2020.

I moved to Canada in Mar 2018. I left Canada in between for 2 weeks and since then haven’t traveled outside the country. I will complete 2 years (out of 5 years) of stay in Mar 2020. I am due for my renewal now. Please advise on the following

• When can I submit my renewal paperwork-Mar 2020 or Jun 2020?
  • What is the utmost Must Have documentation that needs to be submitted?
  • What kind of issues/complexities could arise for PR renewal since my spouse who was the Primary Applicant will not be renewing along with me.
  • Can i travel to USA by road in this time period until Jun 2020 while waiting for my renewal, If atall any emergency ?
  • How long does it take to receive the Renewal.
Your responses are much appreciated.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment/correct as this is my view only

1)advisable to have a buffer of residency days and not to apply on day 731 especially given even though your card was issued 4/2015 the initial 5 year RO is based on landing date (assume around March 2015) not PR card issue date or expiry date which are not relevant to the PR residency obligation.

Maybe apply May 2020 given earlier given your residency history you may get into a secondary view of your application and any travel history.

2)Do not think there is anything special given you I believe you have the option to authorise IRCC to access any travel history from CBSA. As with any application follow any document checklist .

3)your spouse PR status is totally irrelevant given PR status is an individual responsibility to meet or fail the RO

4)Sure you have a valid PR card you could travel by road or air whilst the card is still valid as long as is after you have reached the meet RO point.. Even once it is expired you could still in theory travel by road as long as you meet any other ID requirements but you cannot travel by air with an expired PR card.

5)current renewal shows as 25 days plus post. If goes to a secondary review then can take a lot longer hence (1)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Last edited:
Reactions: sang1507