+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal, PRTD Required?

sundevl00

Jun 25, 2018
Hi all,

I've been a Canada PR since 2008. I'm a US citizen. However, my Canadian born husband and I have lived in UK since 2014.

My PR card is expiring this year October, but we're planning to go back to Canada for Xmas.

I see that I can't apply for PR card renewal from outside. I was planning to get a PRTD, but do I really need to do that every time I travel to Canada? It seems insane, as it's more complex than a Visa or Eta, neither which I need.

Should I:
a) just travel with US passport as visitor?

b) get PRTD (asking for multiple entry) and submit PR renewal while visiting Canada (I have a post box address where it can be sent, hoping I don't get the "pick up at office" response)

c) suck it up and get PRTD each time I am going to visit?

Thanks for any insights and help.

Cheers!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi all,

I've been a Canada PR since 2008. I'm a US citizen. However, my Canadian born husband and I have lived in UK since 2014.

My PR card is expiring this year October, but we're planning to go back to Canada for Xmas.

I see that I can't apply for PR card renewal from outside. I was planning to get a PRTD, but do I really need to do that every time I travel to Canada? It seems insane, as it's more complex than a Visa or Eta, neither which I need.

Should I:
a) just travel with US passport as visitor?

b) get PRTD (asking for multiple entry) and submit PR renewal while visiting Canada (I have a post box address where it can be sent, hoping I don't get the "pick up at office" response)

c) suck it up and get PRTD each time I am going to visit?

Thanks for any insights and help.

Cheers!
Since US passport holders are eTA-exempt, there is no need to apply for PR TD. Just don'e mention to the airline you're a PR, as that may only cause complications. For the purposes of flying you're simply a US citizen to the airline.

You should be able to apply for PR card renewal while in the UK (others on this site have done this), however IRCC will make you pick up the card in person so you would need to travel to arrange to be in Canada to get it after it's approved.