+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal Application

chinesecanadian87

Star Member
Jan 30, 2017
My PR card will expire at the end of October. next month I am going home to visit my parents for a month to 6 weeks, will be back early to mid August. I meet all residency requirements for the renewal application. given how long it takes to get the new PR card, am I able to apply for my new card prior to leaving and travel back with my current card and then get the new card in the mail? I guess what i'm asking, is can i leave the country with PR card application in process or should i wait until i'm back to apply for the new card?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My PR card will expire at the end of October. next month I am going home to visit my parents for a month to 6 weeks, will be back early to mid August. I meet all residency requirements for the renewal application. given how long it takes to get the new PR card, am I able to apply for my new card prior to leaving and travel back with my current card and then get the new card in the mail? I guess what i'm asking, is can i leave the country with PR card application in process or should i wait until i'm back to apply for the new card?
You can go ahead and apply now, seems to usually take a couple of months for them to finish (pls check other reports though).

After issuing you new card they do eventually 'cancel' the old one, but I think that is usually a matter of an additional month or two. (Cancelled card would still be fine at border but could get blocked at airport). Just by math I think the chances of some problem due to that are (very) slim. But take into account if you think you might get held up longer abroad.

Mind, if card received by post at your address, you could have someone send it to you by courier.

Reactions: chinesecanadian87

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After issuing you new card they do eventually 'cancel' the old one, but I think that is usually a matter of an additional month or two. (Cancelled card would still be fine at border but could get blocked at airport). Just by math I think the chances of some problem due to that are (very) slim. But take into account if you think you might get held up longer abroad.

Mind, if card received by post at your address, you could have someone send it to you by courier.
Correct.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Important information:
Upon issuance of a new PR card, your existing (or old) PR card will be invalid after 60 days following the date of issuance of the new card.

anandkakkad

Dec 25, 2017
Thanks, good to know 60 days - with that, @chinesecanadian87 should have more than enough margin.
Hi, is this 60 days rule still there? One of my friends received her renewed PR Card in December but she is currently in India and has an old PR card (that is still valid). So in this scenario can she still use her old PR card or would that have been deactivated as the new PR card has been issued for more than 60 days?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, is this 60 days rule still there? One of my friends received her renewed PR Card in December but she is currently in India and has an old PR card (that is still valid). So in this scenario can she still use her old PR card or would that have been deactivated as the new PR card has been issued for more than 60 days?
In theory should be deactivated / invalid. (That is, if they check electronically, which they should be).

But I can only tell you that is what the manuals say.