+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renew obligations- total days

seattlecalgary

Aug 1, 2008
My wife will apply to renew the card by May 2024. She was not in Canada for around 550 days (between 2021 and 2023 May) because my father was getting cancer treatment, and our second baby was born (during the Pandemic). We could get the doctor and hospital documents. We could not return in a short period of time.; we also canceled our condo rent these years. Still, she was paid a salary from a Canadian company and was a tax resident for these years. She works online.

Now, for the PR renewal card, the form asks about employment history and absent days in Canada. We do not have any issue with the obligation for the total days. Do you think that will be a problem from the CRA perspective? Is immigration sharing these details with the CRA? Should we worry about this?

Thanks for the responses.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My wife will apply to renew the card by May 2024. She was not in Canada for around 550 days (between 2021 and 2023 May) because my father was getting cancer treatment, and our second baby was born (during the Pandemic). We could get the doctor and hospital documents. We could not return in a short period of time.; we also canceled our condo rent these years. Still, she was paid a salary from a Canadian company and was a tax resident for these years. She works online.

Now, for the PR renewal card, the form asks about employment history and absent days in Canada. We do not have any issue with the obligation for the total days. Do you think that will be a problem from the CRA perspective? Is immigration sharing these details with the CRA? Should we worry about this?

Thanks for the responses.

If your wife was outside Canada for 550 was her employer aware? How her salary was paid would have to be altered by her employer since she was not actually living in Canada. Did she report her absence to CRA because her eligibility for things like tax benefits and CCB would be affected. Was she receiving CCB abroad?

seattlecalgary

Aug 1, 2008
Yes, the employer was aware, and she was NOT receiving CCB or any other tax benefit abroad. Again, this was a family emergency during the pandemic.

So, does immigration share these details with CRA? and could immigration make this the problem? As I checked with my accountant, there is no issue here.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
From an immigration perspective, there is no issue if she has not spent more than 1,095 days outside of Canada in the five years immediately prior to the time of applying for her PR card renewal. You don't need to provide evidence for why she was abroad.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, the employer was aware, and she was NOT receiving CCB or any other tax benefit abroad. Again, this was a family emergency during the pandemic.

So, does immigration share these details with CRA? and could immigration make this the problem? As I checked with my accountant, there is no issue here.

No they do not share the information with CRA. If you have notified the government, including CRA, of her absence from Canada there should be no concern about whether information is shared.

seattlecalgary

Aug 1, 2008
No they do not share the information with CRA. If you have notified the government, including CRA, of her absence from Canada there should be no concern about whether information is shared.
As I mentioned before, my wife stayed outside of Canada almost for two years because of a Family emergency but kept the tax resident for these years in Canada and paid the tax in Canada since she works remotely.

What address do you suggest to use for these years? The Canada Residential home address or Stay address outside of Canada (Parents' house) for these long-term stays?