+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Puff puff

Newbie
Oct 4, 2026
4
0
Hi everyone, I’m looking for advice from anyone experienced with IRCC refusals.


My PR application was refused this past Thursday, October 1, so only 3 days ago. The officer determined that my DWP Work Coach employment falls under NOC 41321 rather than the NOC 42201 I claimed.


There also appears to be a date error in the employment document I submitted. The correct employment period was 10 March to 31 December 2025, but the document stated 2026. I’m now resending my employment slips and other supporting documents to clearly establish the correct dates.


I had two employments included in my application, and when both are considered, I believe I meet the required one year of qualifying experience.


I’m considering requesting a reassessment/reconsideration, and I also want to clearly demonstrate how my actual job duties align with the NOC I claimed and why I believe the officer’s classification may not accurately reflect my role.


Given how recent the refusal is, I’d really appreciate advice from anyone who has dealt with a similar NOC classification/work experience refusal, including whether reassessment, reconsideration, judicial review, reapplication, or another option would make sense.


Thank you!
 
Without knowing your job duties, no one can comment. Seems like you are a career counsellor (like your title) and not a community worker. Where do you work?
 
Without knowing your job duties, no one can comment. Seems like you are a career counsellor (like your title) and not a community worker. Where do you work?
Thanks for asking. I work for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in the UK as a Work Coach. My concern is that the officer assessed my role based on the job title and concluded that my duties better match a different NOC rather than the one I claimed.


My actual duties are primarily focused on supporting unemployed and economically inactive clients with their return to employment. I assess their barriers and individual circumstances, provide employment-related guidance, help them develop realistic action plans, monitor their progress, and refer them to appropriate external agencies and specialist services where they have social, financial, health, or other barriers that need additional support.


The officer suggested that my role aligns more closely with a career-related occupation because some of my duties involve employment guidance. However, I don’t provide career counselling in the conventional sense, and I don’t primarily create CVs or deliver skills training. Those are some of the duties the officer appears to have relied on when matching me to the other NOC.


I’m trying to understand whether my actual duties could reasonably support the NOC I claimed, particularly because the role also involves addressing clients’ wider social and employment barriers and referring them to other agencies to help them get back on their feet.
 
Thanks for asking. I work for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in the UK as a Work Coach. My concern is that the officer assessed my role based on the job title and concluded that my duties better match a different NOC rather than the one I claimed.


My actual duties are primarily focused on supporting unemployed and economically inactive clients with their return to employment. I assess their barriers and individual circumstances, provide employment-related guidance, help them develop realistic action plans, monitor their progress, and refer them to appropriate external agencies and specialist services where they have social, financial, health, or other barriers that need additional support.


The officer suggested that my role aligns more closely with a career-related occupation because some of my duties involve employment guidance. However, I don’t provide career counselling in the conventional sense, and I don’t primarily create CVs or deliver skills training. Those are some of the duties the officer appears to have relied on when matching me to the other NOC.


I’m trying to understand whether my actual duties could reasonably support the NOC I claimed, particularly because the role also involves addressing clients’ wider social and employment barriers and referring them to other agencies to help them get back on their feet.
You can try for reconsideration but should be consulting an immigration lawyer.