+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR or open Work permit?

Nov 14, 2017
Hello,

I am an Indian National but studying in Hong Kong for my Masters, I am planning to work here in Hong Kong after my Masters. My fiance is studying her Masters in Vancouver Canada. We are getting married in Jan 2019 what I want to ask from this group is what should i do to reach Canada as early as possible.

1. Should I apply for PR before marriage or after marriage?
2. Should I apply for an open work permit after marriage?

Thank you,

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
You cant apply for pr through family class before marriage

You have to be IN canada and apply INLAND to qualify for an owp

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,

I am an Indian National but studying in Hong Kong for my Masters, I am planning to work here in Hong Kong after my Masters. My fiance is studying her Masters in Vancouver Canada. We are getting married in Jan 2019 what I want to ask from this group is what should i do to reach Canada as early as possible.

1. Should I apply for PR before marriage or after marriage?
2. Should I apply for an open work permit after marriage?

Thank you,
Are you or your fiance a Canadian PR or citizen?
If not, how do you planned to apply for PR? (Express Entry? PNP?)

Nov 14, 2017
@YVR123 My fiancé is on student visa currently. After marriage also she will be on student visa. So my question is
1. Can I apply for PR when she is on student visa?
2. If Yes will that help accelerate the PR process? How much time will it take to get the PR?
3. If No, can I apply for an open work permit outside Canada? How much time will it take to get my OPW?

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
@starnaenae 1. How much time will it take to receive my PR if I apply after marriage?
2. As my spouse is on student visa can I apply for open work permit from outside Canada?
Ircc is committed to processing 80% of applications within 12 months. No one can say definitively how long processing will take.

No you cannot apply for an owp from outside canada

trackgal1

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
It sounds like your fiance is not a Canadian PR or citizen & if that's the case, she can't sponsor you to become a PR. You will have to look into different ways to become a PR (ex: Express entry) rather than family sponsorship.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
@YVR123 My fiancé is on student visa currently. After marriage also she will be on student visa. So my question is
1. Can I apply for PR when she is on student visa?
2. If Yes will that help accelerate the PR process? How much time will it take to get the PR?
3. If No, can I apply for an open work permit outside Canada? How much time will it take to get my OPW?
Try reading up and posting on a different section of the forum. You may get incorrect answer here because some will assume that you or your spouse is already a PR or citizen. And the route of getting PR is very different.

As far as I know, yes you can get PR but that's not related to your fiance's student visa. You have to qualify yourself with education and work experiences (e.g. Express Entry) and she may be able to get PR once she finished her education ( a degree or second degree) and get some work experience in Canada (Canada Experience or PNP).

Try reading up or asking question in the visa student or Express Entry section of this forum.

1. Yes but independently qualifying on your own. (You need to include/declare her after you got married in that application)
2. I have no idea
3. I think there is some kind of work permit for spouse of visa student but she needs to update her status. I don't know the detail as I didn't go through this process myself.