+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR or Citizenship?

puma

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
Hi, My second PR card expires end of March, 2013. I would have lived for about 300 days in Canada by then. Now that my mom is no more,I will not be travelling abroad any more and I intend to stay in Canada and get my residency in proper order.
I would like to know which of the options is better:(since I am already on a renewd PR card)
1. Get the PR card renewed for the second time after having lived for 730 days (or)
2.Apply for citizenship after 1095 days.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is up to you. If you want the ability to travel after you have stayed for 730 days, say you want to take a short vacation outside Canada, you can renew it. If you really do not want to go anywhere, they you do not have to renew it.

puma

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
Leon said:
It is up to you. If you want the ability to travel after you have stayed for 730 days, say you want to take a short vacation outside Canada, you can renew it. If you really do not want to go anywhere, they you do not have to renew it.
You're right. I'll decide once I complete 730 days.But they do renew the PR card for a second time, no problem with that?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
puma said:
You're right. I'll decide once I complete 730 days.But they do renew the PR card for a second time, no problem with that?
You can renew it as many times as you like, just as long as you always meet the requirements of at least 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years.

puma

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
Leon said:
You can renew it as many times as you like, just as long as you always meet the requirements of at least 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years.

Thank you very much.

puma

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
It appears I've to travel to US end of December, 2012 for about 20 days to visit my new-born grand daughter, I'll be back in Canada by January 10th, 2013. Since my PR card expires end of March,2013 as I've stated above, will there be a problem at the border crossing? Of course, that'll be the last time I'll be travelling until I get my PR Card renewed or get my Citizenship.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you don't meet the residency requirements, it is always possible that you will have a problem but with a valid PR card and having been in Canada 20 days earlier, especially if you take something with you to prove that you are coming back from a short trip like say if you drive that you keep some receipts for petrol or something else you bought in Canada before you left and if you fly that you keep your ticket and border card from the outbound trip, you should be ok.