+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR obligation

rvs23

Nov 8, 2018
Hi,
i got my PR in 2020 but I just completed the landing process and stayed for 14 days and then again i visited Canada in 2022 April and Stayed for a month and returned back. I want to move permanently now and my PR expires in Jan 2026.Can i still come and get my PR renewed or is It going to be a problem?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
i got my PR in 2020 but I just completed the landing process and stayed for 14 days and then again i visited Canada in 2022 April and Stayed for a month and returned back. I want to move permanently now and my PR expires in Jan 2026.Can i still come and get my PR renewed or is It going to be a problem?
Yes, you still come before your PR card expires. You still have 2 years before you can renew your PR card.

Reactions: rvs23

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi,
No need to renew your PR card anytime soon; indeed you cannot apply for a new PR card until around April 2025 at the soonest.

If you return to Canada to STAY relatively soon, there should be no problem.

HOWEVER, you are either already in breach of the PR Residency Obligation or you will soon be in breach (unless you come and stay). When you have been outside Canada for a total of more than 1095 days since the day you landed, you will be in breach of the RO as of that day. You probably (but NO guarantee) have a window in time beyond that, hard to guess how long, in which border officials are not likely to engage in RO enforcement with you upon your arrival at a Port-of-Entry into Canada.

To be sure to keep your PR status you probably should be making the move here to STAY quite soon.

Remember, a new PR card will have no effect on calculating compliance with the RO. Date the current card expires is not relevant either.

rvs23

Nov 8, 2018
No need to renew your PR card anytime soon; indeed you cannot apply for a new PR card until around April 2025 at the soonest.

If you return to Canada to STAY relatively soon, there should be no problem.

HOWEVER, you are either already in breach of the PR Residency Obligation or you will soon be in breach (unless you come and stay). When you have been outside Canada for a total of more than 1095 days since the day you landed, you will be in breach of the RO as of that day. You probably (but NO guarantee) have a window in time beyond that, hard to guess how long, in which border officials are not likely to engage in RO enforcement with you upon your arrival at a Port-of-Entry into Canada.

To be sure to keep your PR status you probably should be making the move here to STAY quite soon.

Remember, a new PR card will have no effect on calculating compliance with the RO. Date the current card expires is not relevant either.
With the calculation till today looks like its 1100 days till now since my landing date. so it is just over the limit. Thinking of atleast landing in Canada by end of this month.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
With the calculation till today looks like its 1100 days till now since my landing date. so it is just over the limit. Thinking of atleast landing in Canada by end of this month.
Then there is a good chance you will be able to enter without issue. You should be prepared to remain in Canada for the next 2 years.

Reactions: dpenabill and rvs23

sg1234

Star Member
May 14, 2020
Then there is a good chance you will be able to enter without issue. You should be prepared to remain in Canada for the next 2 years.
Is it possible to enter Canada with a valid PR card even if you are in breach of RO? Even if you were more than 1095 days outside of Canada from the date of landing?

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Is it possible to enter Canada with a valid PR card even if you are in breach of RO? Even if you were more than 1095 days outside of Canada from the date of landing?
Yes. You will always be allowed to enter as a PR.

However, you can always be asked about your compliance with the RO at the border and an officer may issue you a report for failing to meet your RO. If that happens, you are still allowed to enter and can appeal the decision within a certain period. If you do appeal, you can stay in Canada until the appeal is decided. If you don't appeal and have been issued a removal order, you must leave Canada within the timeframe mentioned on it.

If you are not reported at the border, you can cure the breach by remaining in Canada until you have fulfilled the RO, and then you can apply for a new PR card if needed.

Reactions: YVR123 and sg1234

sg1234

Star Member
May 14, 2020
Yes. You will always be allowed to enter as a PR.

However, you can always be asked about your compliance with the RO at the border and an officer may issue you a report for failing to meet your RO. If that happens, you are still allowed to enter and can appeal the decision within a certain period. If you do appeal, you can stay in Canada until the appeal is decided. If you don't appeal and have been issued a removal order, you must leave Canada within the timeframe mentioned on it.

If you are not reported at the border, you can cure the breach by remaining in Canada until you have fulfilled the RO, and then you can apply for a new PR card if needed.
How does the officer decide to report not meeting RO? Is that random? Can we request them not to do that?

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
How does the officer decide to report not meeting RO? Is that random? Can we request them not to do that?
Lol you can try but I doubt they will listen to you.

It's not random, but likely based on various factors such as how long you have been out of the country, where you live, and also based on any entry/exit records they have about you etc. Officers at the primary inspection line can ask you any question, and if they have any doubts about you meeting your residency obligation, they can refer you to a secondary inspection.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Largely agree with the observations succinctly stated by @Besram, but will more fully explain the procedure.

Some caveats: I am NOT an expert. I am not a Canadian lawyer. But the procedure is no mystery, no particular expertise necessary to outline how these things work.

Longer Explanation of Port-of-Entry Process Enforcing PR RO:

Overview of Process:

Generally a PR presenting a valid PR card at the Port-of-Entry is not examined much about their compliance with the Residency Obligation. The vast majority of returning PRs presenting a valid PR card are waived through the Primary Inspection Line (PIL), no examination as to their compliance with the RO.

However, as @Besram stated, there are various factors which might lead the PIL officer to make a referral for further examination in Secondary. The scope of examination in Secondary will likewise depend on similar factors, and in typical law enforcement fashion it is a potentially telescoping interview; that is, the traveler's responses can either satisfy the examining officer or trigger additional questions, possibly leading to more probing questions, which can in turn trigger even more robust questioning and potentially lead to a more or less full examination of the PR's compliance with the RO.

If the examining officer in Secondary determines the returning Canadian PR is not in compliance with the PR RO, there is a multi-stage procedure that includes a review stage in which a second officer makes the decision whether (1) the inadmissibility "report" (prepared by the examining officer) is valid in law, and if so (2) whether to issue a Removal Order or (3) waive the breach of RO and allow the PR to keep PR status despite failing to comply with the RO. Either way, the PR is then given permission to enter Canada. This procedure is often referred to as being "reported," but that label glosses over detailed steps in the process.

Main thing is NOT whether there is a 44(1) Inadmissibility Report prepared, but whether the second, reviewing officer decides to issue a Removal Order based on that report.

If a Removal Order is issued, the PR has a right of appeal, and remains a PR pending the outcome of an appeal (this goes to the IAD). If not appealed, the Removal Order becomes enforceable 30 days after it was issued, terminating PR status. (This makes the individual, now a former PR, a Foreign National, who must leave Canada or be subject to deportation proceedings.)

The reviewing officer (technically the Minister's Delegate) may decide to NOT issue a Removal Order if:
-- the reviewing officer concludes there are sufficient H&C reasons to allow the PR to keep their PR status despite the RO breach, or​
-- the reviewing officer concludes the first officer's decision was not valid in law, which can happen but is uncommon (this is about whether the reviewing officer agrees that the PR has failed to comply with the RO; this is mostly about the numbers)​

If the reviewing officer decides to not issue a Removal Order, the PR keeps their PR status and that is the end of the matter (unless or until another event triggers a Residency Determination, such as a PR card application or a subsequent PoE examination after again traveling outside Canada).

Can a PR in breach of the RO request border officials not "report" them?

Yes. Definitely. And this is the main reason for these further, longer comments. The real question, after all, is HOW? How does a PR make the case to border officials that they should be allowed to keep PR status?

A PR in breach of the RO should be prepared to explain why they have not returned to Canada sooner, why they failed to comply with the RO, and to make the case they deserve the chance to keep their PR status. In particular, if the examining officer decides to "prepare" a 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility due to a breach of the RO, the PR will be given an opportunity to do this in the interview with the reviewing officer (again, technically this is the Minister's Delegate, but in practice just another CBSA immigration officer). This is referred to as a consideration of "H&C" factors, that is Humane and Compassionate reasons for waiving the breach of the RO, but the nature and scope of what constitutes H&C considerations in this context is broader and more flexible than in most other contexts where so-called H&C reasons are considered.

The biggest factor in most of these cases (nearly all) is the extent of the breach, the numbers. Just the facts. Beyond that, for most PRs in this situation during their first five years since landing, still in possession of a valid PR card, generally the best they can do is simply be prepared to tell their story, to honestly explain what has held up their coming to Canada to settle and live PERMANENTLY. If this includes specific reasons, like medical reasons, or needing to care for a parent, it can help to have some objective paperwork backing up the explanation (supporting documents, like a doctor's letter if there is a medical reason involved).

Main thing is to be honest and NOT evasive, let alone at all deceptive. It can come down to a relatively subjective judgment call by the reviewing officer based on whether the officer is persuaded the PR DESERVES to keep PR status.

If the PR fails to persuade the reviewing officer they deserve to keep PR status, and a Removal Order is issued, the PR will get another chance to make their case before the IAD, so long as they appeal within 30 days. Best to get a lawyer's assistance in this.

The 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility Due to RO Breach:

This is the formal documentation more or less charging a PR with failing to comply with the RO. It is actually less a "report" in the typical sense, and more like a decision. In particular, this Report is prepared when an examining officer determines the PR has failed to comply with the RO. In itself, the only direct impact of this Report is that it means the PR will not get credit for days in Canada after that day unless the Report is set aside.

In the context of this Report being prepared attendant a PoE examination (there are other situations in which these reports are prepared), it is almost always reviewed then and there, while the PR is still in the PoE, before the PR has been allowed to proceed into Canada. (I have more fully detailed, in other posts, the circumstances in which review is delayed, the PR allowed to proceed into Canada, review of the Report still pending.) As I outlined above, a second officer reviews the Report and decides whether or not to issue a Removal Order.

Reactions: rvs23