+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR expires in 500 days

Fk 100

May 18, 2019
Hello all,

i got my pr in mid 2019. I landed, got my pr card and moved back outside.
I am now getting ready to head back to canada, however my pr card expires mid of 2024. I have slightly more than 500 days, so given that i wont reach 730 days until the expiry of my card, will I have any troubles getting inside canada ??

also, is there any particular cut-off date beyond which my entry to canada is in jeopardy? Or by principal, can i enter at any point before it expires ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello all,

I am now getting ready to head back to canada, however my pr card expires mid of 2024. I have slightly more than 500 days, so given that i wont reach 730 days until the expiry of my card, will I have any troubles getting inside canada ??

also, is there any particular cut-off date beyond which my entry to canada is in jeopardy? Or by principal, can i enter at any point before it expires ?
You will be in compliance at any time if you have been out of Canada less than 1095 days (this is just restating the 730 days arithmetically to make it easier to calculate) - always using the five most recent years from the day in question (i.e. the day you present at the border). They may ask you simple questoins but you won't have any trouble.

[Repeat: this is exactly the same as counting the days you had in Canada plus the days remaining until the five year anniversary of your day of landing.]

There's no cut-off per se. You can board a plane and enter Canada using your pr card up until its last day of validity. If you are not in compliance wiht the residency obligation, you may get more questions, and if they consider that there are no extenuating circumstances, they may 'report' you for not complying with the RO; that can start the process of IRCC potentially revoking your PR status, subject to appeals, etc. You will be admitted but obviously that can be complicated. You might also get waved through by an officer - basically simple leniency.

Simple advice: return while you are still in compliance, with a healthy buffer to account for future travel, planned and unplanned. While leniency is not uncommon, it can be quite complicated to be out of compliance.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can board a plane and enter Canada using your pr card up until its last day of validity.
Only in certain situations:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Important information: Upon issuance of a new PR card, your existing (or old) PR card will be invalid after 60 days following the date of issuance of the new card.

One example would be a PR that has applied to renew their card, that still has at least a few months (9 months left is when people can apply for a new card) before it expires and doesn't receive it within that 60 day window. Even though the expiry date on the old card hasn't passed, the card would in fact be invalid.

Reactions: krishere1982

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

Just to clarify RO must be meet 5 years from your landing date not the expiry date on your PR card.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Important information: Upon issuance of a new PR card, your existing (or old) PR card will be invalid after 60 days following the date of issuance of the new card.
Useful information to know.

NOthing to do with this situation of course.

Fk 100

May 18, 2019
Just to clarify RO must be meet 5 years from your landing date not the expiry date on your PR card.
Im sorry i don't quite get that point. RO = 730 days.
i landed in May 2019 n thats when i got my PR card. Currently, until expiration of my PR, there are ~500 days, so i will have to stay in canada for the 230 days with an expired PR card.
is my understanding correct? And in thise 230 days, i cannot travel with ease, if at all..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Im sorry i don't quite get that point. RO = 730 days.
i landed in May 2019 n thats when i got my PR card. Currently, until expiration of my PR, there are ~500 days, so i will have to stay in canada for the 230 days with an expired PR card.
is my understanding correct? And in thise 230 days, i cannot travel with ease, if at all..
Correct.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry for the bother, but for any emergencies or unforeseen circumstances, is there any way somebody could travel with an expired PR ?
You cannot travel commercially with an expired PR Card (unless you have a U.S. passport), but if you can get a U.S. visa, you can fly to the nearest Canadian border and cross in a private vehicle, or by foot; The expired card can still be used when you see the CBSA officer, but...nobody can tell you what the CBSA officer may do upon re-entry.

If your PR card is expired when you return to Canada, you will almost be guaranteed to be sent to Secondary Inspection, simply because the card is expired. The Secondary officer would certainly ask questions as to why the card is expired and will likely have your travel history available up on their screen to validate what you tell them. If you are out of compliance, or even suspected to be out of compliance, the officer could do any number of things, ranging from a verbal warning that you have not met the R.O., up to issuing a 44(1) report for non-compliance, which could lead to PR status being revoked. Nobody can tell you which way the pendulum would swing, but IMHO, the latter option, being the most extreme, may not be the most often used action by the officer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry for the bother, but for any emergencies or unforeseen circumstances, is there any way somebody could travel with an expired PR ?
You can leave Canada without a problem.

You cannot board a flight to return to Canada with an expired PR card

Your options would be to fly to the US (assuming you have a valid US visa) and then re-enter Canada through a land boarder using a private vehicle.

Alternatively you could try applying for a PR Travel Document with H&C considerations once you are outside of Canada. This could be risky if you don't have strong H&C reasons for having failed to meet the residency requirement.

Fk 100

May 18, 2019
You can leave Canada without a problem.

You cannot board a flight to return to Canada with an expired PR card

Your options would be to fly to the US (assuming you have a valid US visa) and then re-enter Canada through a land boarder using a private vehicle.

Alternatively you could try applying for a PR Travel Document with H&C considerations once you are outside of Canada. This could be risky if you don't have strong H&C reasons for having failed to meet the residency requirement.
very helpful. I hv a us visa. So basically, after my pr expires, i can exit canada.. go wherever, and then return by foot or private vehicle thru usa. Do i have to go through checkpoints? Or there are ways from usa to canada without having to show me expired pr card ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
very helpful. I hv a us visa. So basically, after my pr expires, i can exit canada.. go wherever, and then return by foot or private vehicle thru usa. Do i have to go through checkpoints? Or there are ways from usa to canada without having to show me expired pr card ?
It's by no means risk-free. You should avoid leaving Canada if at all possible if you don't meet the residency requirement.

Yes, you go through check-points. When you re-enter Canada, you pass through immigration every time. If CBSA decides to review your status and determines you don't meet the residency requirement, they have the ability to file a report against you for this non-compliance which triggers a process to revoke your PR status (you of course have the opportunity to argue why you should be allowed to keep it).