+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR expired long ago but would like to study in Canada now

Shae_29

Apr 2, 2018
Hello!

I have PR status for Canada but my PR card expired long ago (I was a minor at that point, maybe 13 or 14 years old). I haven't kept with the PR requirements at all. I am now 27 and would like to do a Ph.D in Canada in the future. Will I be able to? How do i go about the PR renewal process for the same? Also, if i were to apply for a university what would be my funding status? Domestic or international?

Please Help!

Thank you.

P.S.. I should mention that i studied in the UK for a year between 2015-2016. Will this affect my PR renewal?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but if you had taken the chance while you were in the 18-22 range you might have succeeded in keeping your PR status having assume been removed from Canada as a minor. This would have been a H&C application on that basis but the older you get the odds reduce of a successful appeal although nothing to stop you applying on an H&C basis.

PR cards expire by the way PR status can only be revoked or renounced.

Even if you were to try entering via a land border the odds of being reported for failing the residency obligation are very high leading to your PR status being revoked and any appeal unlikely to succeed.

So if neither above an option for you to choose looks like you will need to first revoke your PR status and then either see if you already qualify to apply for PR again or apply for a study permit as an international student.

Studying in the UK makes no difference it is just the fact that once you became an adult (post 18) you have had 9 years already to apply to keep your PR status under H&C. Of course you would still have had to meet the residency obligation so without knowing your situation maybe that would not have been possible anyway.

Out of interest have you spent any time at all in Canada since initial landing which guess was around year 2000 ?

Reactions: Buletruck

Shae_29

Apr 2, 2018
Others can comment but if you had taken the chance while you were in the 18-22 range you might have succeeded in keeping your PR status having assume been removed from Canada as a minor. This would have been a H&C application on that basis but the older you get the odds reduce of a successful appeal although nothing to stop you applying on an H&C basis.

PR cards expire by the way PR status can only be revoked or renounced.

Even if you were to try entering via a land border the odds of being reported for failing the residency obligation are very high leading to your PR status being revoked and any appeal unlikely to succeed.

So if neither above an option for you to choose looks like you will need to first revoke your PR status and then either see if you already qualify to apply for PR again or apply for a study permit as an international student.

Studying in the UK makes no difference it is just the fact that once you became an adult (post 18) you have had 9 years already to apply to keep your PR status under H&C. Of course you would still have had to meet the residency obligation so without knowing your situation maybe that would not have been possible anyway.

Out of interest have you spent any time at all in Canada since initial landing which guess was around year 2000 ?
hello,
yes, I've spent 2 years in Canada after which my family got the PR. However i don't think we've spent more than a couple of days post receiving PR.
I see what you mean about age. If i do revoke my PR what are the chances i'll be able to become a PR again in the future?
Thanks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
hello,
yes, I've spent 2 years in Canada after which my family got the PR. However i don't think we've spent more than a couple of days post receiving PR.
I see what you mean about age. If i do revoke my PR what are the chances i'll be able to become a PR again in the future?
Thanks.
This totally depends on your ability to score enough CRS points to be invited to reapply. Your previous PR status will be of no consequence. Maybe try out the calculator at https://www.canadavisa.com/comprehensive-ranking-score-calculator.html