+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr expired can sponser spouse n child

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Thanks for your Reply

Very well explained and seems logical. Will research more on the subject because the cic website text on the matter suggests PR can sponsor spouse unless there is on going investigation for RO.

Are there examples of people triggering RO inquiry by applying to sponsor spouse or other family members ?
"The Appellant applied to sponsor his spouse and child to Canada on May 11, 2016. The immigration officer assessed that application on January 27, 2017 and determined that the Appellant had not met his residency requirement. The immigration officer calculated that he had not met the 730-day residency requirement for the period being January 27, 2012 to January 27, 2017. A subsequent residency calculation was made from February 7, 2012 (when the section 44(1) report was prepared) to February 17, 2017, calculating a shortfall of 224 days. A departure order was issued on July 27, 2017. "
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2019/2019canlii76140/2019canlii76140.html

"During the interview with her husband, with regards to the sponsorship application, it came to light that possibly the appellant did not comply with her residency obligation. She was convoked to attend an interview on November 13, 2014, to evaluate her compliance with the residency obligation. After the interview, a removal order was issued against her as the immigration officer determined that the appellant had not complied with the residency obligation "
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2018/2018canlii27222/2018canlii27222.html

"your husband had spent only three months in Canada in 2012, and eleven days in 2016. Even if he were to remain, without leaving until August 20, 2017, it could never have exceeded 492 days in Canada, and he needs 730 days. Consequently, a departure order was issued against him, which in law is valid, and on top of that he had to have lived in Canada on a full-time basis during the sponsorship process, which he did not do. "
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/doc/2017/2017canlii99350/2017canlii99350.html

Reactions: dpenabill

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In addition to what was offered by @Besram (which I did not see until I was posting this) . . .

Are there examples of people triggering RO inquiry by applying to sponsor spouse or other family members ?
Yes. That is what I said in my previous post. You can do some of your own homework and find several such reports, and attendant tales of woe, here in this forum (sure that requires some effort and can be time consuming). Or, do the homework and research RO breach IAD decisions at the CanLII site for the IRB, see https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/

I have done a lot of both. I do a lot of the homework for others. I have offered you what I have learned doing the homework. FWIW.

Will research more on the subject because the cic website text on the matter suggests PR can sponsor spouse unless there is on going investigation for RO.
You already quoted language to the contrary, language that appears to come from IMM 5289, the guide for sponsoring a spouse or dependent child, which states (again) that if [the sponsor] has "failed to respect [the sponsor's] residency conditions" the IRCC "won’t start processing [the] sponsorship application until a final decision related to the situation has been made."

This is NOT complicated. Obscure. Or even vague. Among the information the sponsor provides, as part of information in the "Sponsorship Evaluation," is address and employment history for the five years preceding the date of the application. No need to guess all the reasons why this information is required to recognize that it is at least in significant part about evaluating whether the sponsor has "failed to respect [the sponsor's] residency conditions." And remember, making misrepresentations in these forms, in addition to being a crime (even if not often prosecuted), can constitute independent grounds for inadmissibility and termination of PR status (not just denying the application). Address history, for example, for purposes of such applications, is about where the individual has in fact actually resided, not like the address of a friend or family member one-can-use without actually living there, like one might use in dealing with banks or other kinds of accounts. Those who fudge, do so at their peril.

As I attempted to illuminate in my previous post: if a PR who has not complied with the PR Residency Obligation files an application with IRCC that requires IRCC to evaluate the PR's status, that process can (probably is likely to, but we do not have actual statistics sufficiently to know the numbers) trigger the investigation. In that event, that is if in the initial stage of the sponsorship process, during which the sponsor's eligibility is being evaluated, a more or less formal inquiry (investigation) into the PR's compliance with "residency conditions" is triggered, then no decision will be made on the sponsorship application until there is a final determination, until there is a Residency Determination, and even then ONLY if that Residency Determination is a favourable outcome.

No advanced degrees in political science or jurisprudence necessary, no special expertise in immigration law, to recognize that the government body which is charged with implementing and enforcing Canadian immigration policy and laws will employ methods and means to in fact enforce the rules. You can read and re-read all the available information with blinders, focusing on an interpretation which appears to give you a green light, but if you want to understand how things work and what the actual RISKS are, better to take off the blinders and make an effort to read and understand the available information recognizing what the government's role is, and in particular understanding its mandate to apply and enforce the rules.

As noted before, there are indeed variable outcomes for different PRs notwithstanding making such applications when they are in breach of the RO. Perhaps the most common report seen in this forum comes attendant queries about why is the sponsorship application taking so long, and then little or no follow-up so we do not know the final outcome for those individuals. But again, we also see reports from some who end up being issued a 44(1) Report and Departure Order. And some who encounter no problem. But not enough reports, and especially not enough reported detail, to figure out what the difference is between those Reported, those suspended, and those who have no problem.

Harryt

Feb 9, 2019
Thank you for taking the trouble to explain. Really appreciate it.

Is the RO compliance requirement applicable even in case of express entry PR application where the applicant is claiming points for spouse who's PR

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for taking the trouble to explain. Really appreciate it.

Is the RO compliance requirement applicable even in case of express entry PR application where the applicant is claiming points for spouse who's PR
Points can't be claimed for a PR spouse in EE.

Harryt

Feb 9, 2019
What would be the best course for someone who's not met RO but would like to get his/her spouse to Canada. I know applying for PR under EE is one option but since the crs cut off is 471 that is bit challenging.

Any other option ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What would be the best course for someone who's not met RO but would like to get his/her spouse to Canada. I know applying for PR under EE is one option but since the crs cut off is 471 that is bit challenging.

Any other option ?
There isn’t one. Unfortunately if you aren’t compliant with the RO you end up being separated for quite some time. Residency requirement is already very lenient.

Guess you could also renounce PR and apply all together.